HA migration target when node reboots

egrueda

Renowned Member
Nov 9, 2010
Madrid, Spain
Hi! PVE 7.1 here with HA Cluster and CEPH storage
I have 3 nodes running 3 VMs each one, all nodes same priority. Migration works great.
HA policy is to migrate when a node goes maintenance mode, and its doing fine except it's moving all VMs to the same node

So when I reboot a node, I go from here:

Node01: vm01, vm02, vm03
Node02: vm04, vm05, vm06
Node03: vm07, vm08, vm09

To here:

Node01: vm01, vm02, vm03, vm07, vm08, vm09
Node02: vm04, vm05, vm06
Node03:

It's migrating all VMs to the same node, which is not good for the node01 :)

Is there any way I can balance this automatic migrations to get load balanced per node?
Thanks.

Hi,
It's migrating all VMs to the same node, which is not good for the node01
Do you have HA groups with priority setup? As normally it should balance by service count (which may not be ideal for all setups, as VM/CTs can have widely different load impact, but ensures at least some basic balancing).

Hi! I have only 1 ha group
All 3 nodes have no priority, should I set a numerical one (same for all) instead of leaving it blank?

Well, I tried to set same numerical prority in all nodes and then restarted one node.
No changes, all migrated VMs went to the same node :-(
Don't know if this is normal behavior or I might be missing some point

1643208813234.png

Don't know if this is normal behavior or I might be missing some point
May well be an issue with the rebalancing code, I'd need to investigate - if you want you can open a report over at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/ and link to this forum post here for context.

FYI, there actually was an issue that messed with correctly balancing out the online services to the remaining nodes on migration maintenance, and it got fixed with pve-ha-manager version 3.4.0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!