HA for containers, kinda, shower thought.

James Crook

Jul 28, 2017
So shower thought...

If I had a 3 node cluster with ZFS and live migration of one virtual machine between nodes, and in the virtual machine i had containers running.
I could (in theory) live migrate the virtual machine (with containers running on it) to another node and the containers would still be live and able to respond to requests while the live migration was happening ?

Hi,

There is no Container Live migration.
If you mean you migrate a KVM VM than yes you can live migrate and the VM stay online.
But if you use ZFS you need to use the command line with "-with-local-disks".
Also, you will lose about 2 packages because your switches have to switch the traffic to the other node.
The zfs replication is not compatible with live migration.

Hi,

There is no Container Live migration.
If you mean you migrate a KVM VM than yes you can live migrate and the VM stay online.
But if you use ZFS you need to use the command line with "-with-local-disks".
Also, you will lose about 2 packages because your switches have to switch the traffic to the other node.
The zfs replication is not compatible with live migration.

Yes, sorry i meant a KVM VM with containers inside it. I forgot ZFS wasn't an option.
Hmmmm i feel a project coming on.......

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!