HA does not work

VictorZenIT

Jun 4, 2019
Hello,

Thank you for helping me!

I have a cluster of 2 nodes. And quite simply, when I turn off the first node, the virtual machine does not switch to the other node.
I understand that it takes at least 3 nodes for the HA to work. But what if I only have 2 servers, there is another solution?

Victor.

Buy third node. Easiest and cheapest is a Raspberry Pi.
Thank you LnxBil,
I added a third node, but it still does not work, the virtual machine of the first node does not switch to another node when I turn off the first node. Do you have an idea please?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    72.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 15
I added a third node, but it still does not work, the virtual machine of the first node does not switch to another node when I turn off the first node. Do you have an idea please?

What do you mean by "turn off"? Press the reset button and it should be started on another machine.

What do you mean by "turn off"? Press the reset button and it should be started on another machine.
When i said "turn off", i click on "Reboot" or "Shutdown" at my first node (i restart my server).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    88.8 KB · Views: 8
When i said "turn off", i click on "Reboot" or "Shutdown" at my first node (i restart my server).

IMHO, this will only stop or hibernate the VM, but not migrate it automatically. If you want to test HA, you need to reset your machine via watchdog or manually by pressing the reset button, then the HA will kick in.

In 5.4 you can change the default action for reboot shutdown. You set this in datacenter options.

By default reboot does not migrate and shutdown only migrates if the node takes longer than a minute to come back. You can change the default to fail over then it always will do that.

Also make sure that HA is on for the VM check in HA section under datacentre

By default reboot does not migrate and shutdown only migrates if the node takes longer than a minute to come back. You can change the default to fail over then it always will do that.

Yet this is still no automatic migration prior to reboot, which is very sad but understandable.

Yes that would be a good option to have do live migration before reboot.

We do that manually normally as we don't want any outage on the guest.

It’s my understanding that HA is not enabled by default just because you have a 2/3+ Node cluster? I had to enable HA for each desired VM in Datacentre -> HA and assign them to HA groups (to control the priority of the nodes and fallback behaviour etc)

It’s my understanding that HA is not enabled by default just because you have a 2/3+ Node cluster? I had to enable HA for each desired VM in Datacentre -> HA and assign them to HA groups (to control the priority of the nodes and fallback behaviour etc)

Is it different than the screenshots in post #5?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!