HA Cluster with ZFS?

gtrovato

May 16, 2019
Hi All,

after studying I'm still confused about requirements to build an HA Cluster with three nodes...

e.g. ZFS is mandatory?

Thanks!

Hi,

ZFS is mandatory?
No it is not, and it is not really providing the guest-storage requirements that HA needs, i.e., redundant and shared storage.
With ZFS + periodic replication you can get somewhat close to that, but it's not really "real HA".

We primarily recommend using Ceph for setups that require HA, but an external NFS or iSCSI storage box can of course work out too.

I use Ceph 3x(4x2To SSD) setup to achieve a relatively secure and highly available storage cluster, with 10G-BaseT links. I am counting on 5TB of storage space that can lose at least 2 disks without data loss, on any node.

Last edited:
Well in that solution you set up two separate servers only for ZFS storage, as their STONITH fencing isn't really compatible with Proxmox VE, and have a IMO rather big amount of complexity, but if done correctly (and the "correctly" part might not be easy here) it can theoretically work.

FWIW, at least I wouldn't like to pay more for less result and a bigger maintenance burden than, e.g., a three node hyper-converged ceph cluster.

Albeit, I did only skim that guide, so if you got the HW lying around and time at hands to test this it would be certainly interesting to know how it goes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!