HA Cluster with multiple public IPs

jHorrocks

Dec 1, 2022
I have read many posts in this forum regarding clustering and HA but my configuration is slightly different for business reasons, I need each VM/Container on its own IP and I am confused how to set this up.

I am only in the design stage so testing is not an option right now so just the theory behind what to do is what I am looking for.

I am designing a 3 node proxmox environment for HA:

pveProduction1
proxmox public IP: 1.1.1.100 (example)
VM1 public IP: 1.1.1.101 - hosting www.website1.com
VM2 public IP: 1.1.1.102 - hosting www.website2.com
VM3 public IP: 1.1.1.103 - hosting www.website3.com

pveProduction2
proxmox public IP example: 2.2.2.100 (example)
VM1 public IP: 2.2.2.101 - hosting www.website1.com
VM2 public IP: 2.2.2.102 - hosting www.website2.com
VM3 public IP: 2.2.2.103 - hosting www.website3.com

pveOffice1
proxmox public IP example: 3.3.3.100 (example)
VM1 public IP: 3.3.3.101 - hosting www.website1.com
VM2 public IP: 3.3.3.102 - hosting www.website2.com
VM3 public IP: 3.3.3.103 - hosting www.website3.com

All the above servers will be hosted at different hosting datacenters so cannot ask them to subnet or route IPs etc...

pveProduction1 will be the main server so if someone goes to www.website1.com it will point to public IP 1.1.1.101 (VM1) but if this VM or the proxmox pveProduction1 server goes down and pveProduction2 takes over, then the new IP for www.website1.com is now 2.2.2.101.

So my question is, how do I make sure www.website1.com will resolve from public IP 1.1.1.101 to 2.2.2.101? (VM1 on pveProduction2)

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!