HA Cluster with 2 Nodes, Backup

guyman

Jan 2, 2014
Hi,

First: Have a happy new year for everyone :).

Second: I plan to setup a HA-Cluster using this guide: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Two-Node_High_Availability_Cluster

Will it work without the Quorum Disk (3rd node at all in general)? I want to use DRBD with LVM on it.

Also: In the past I had some problems with LVM-nodes when the secondary DRBD becames master in a fail-over-scenario. I had to create a small init-script to re-use LVM again. Will it work without no problems?

Third: In the past :) I could not use whole size of the disk for one LVM because it needed some space left to create snapshot-partitions when performing backups (snapshot-mode). Is this still nessescarry? If yes, how big should it be? Is the size based of the max-amount of disk-space a VE has or are 20 / 30 G ok for the data which newly appear when performing backups?

And at last: I found out with Proxmox 1 / 2 it was not directly possible to use openVZ with DRBD/LVM. (see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD). Is it directly possible with Proxmox 3.1?

Thank you!

Last edited:
There is a need for quorum. You can have it with a 3rd proxmox node which can be any machine ( you'll not run VMs on it.. just for quorum )
or you can have it via a quorum disk. Basically you need a 3rd party to tell you which node is going "nuts"..
Also quorum disk can be very easily implemented ( as described on wiki ). It is recommended to have it close enough so that you can have minimum latency.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!