HA Cluster shared storage issue

mbeauverd

Dec 9, 2018
Hello !

I setup my first HA Proxmox cluster with 4 nodes.

I would like to use LVM-THIN because of it flexibility and I need to be able to make snapshots of the VM.
But I just read that LVM-THIN can not be shared :-(

But if I use LVM, no snapshots possible ...

Should I use ZFS over iSCSI instead ?
(But it look complicated to setup)

Doe it work with my Synology NAS ?

Any advices ?

Last edited:
If you have a NAS and want shared storage just take the NFS road. It is snapshot compliant and far easier to maintain than iSCSI.

Reactions: mbeauverd
Thank you for your message.

But I read that performances are not the best compared to iSCSI, what do you think ?

4 nodes with Twin Xeon 2.4Ghz, 24 cores CPU, 48GB RAM and one SSD for Proxmox 5.3.
20Gb/s SFP+ between nodes and storage.
Storage is a Synology DS1817+ with 8 HDD

Ok. I'll give NFS a try anyway. I guess you added a 20Gbps NIC in the PCIe port of the NAS.
Up to you to configure the NAS to serve NFS and iSCSI and add both to your storage. Create a VM to bench I/O and move its disk from one storage to the other to find the one that suits you.
Regarding Synology iSCSI target, don't forget to configure the NAS to serve block based LUNs instead of file based. It's supposed to be faster but it needs a dedicated disk/diskgroup in DSM in order to be used.

Reactions: mbeauverd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!