HA Cluster, Fencing, STONITH and Tasmota

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

hyperconverged noob here ;)

I just set up my first PVE cluster and was about to mark the first VM for HA when I stumbled across the whole fencing topic.

So, before setting up HA, I need a way for the nodes to STONITH each other. The manual suggests i.a. PDUs.

Some of those also monitor the power consumption of the nodes. That got me to think whether I could maybe use my existing Tasmota power socket adapters (eg the (flashed) Gosund SP111). They can be managed via the web easily.

Has anybody implemented this already or determined that it doesn‘t work?

Thanks!

You don't need an external stonith procedure. PVE works with a software watchdog and has a usual downtime in case of a node failure of 2 to 5 minutes.
Additionally, if the node just doesn't react anymore, power consumption could be unchanged and you would never know that the node failed.

You are right - I got duped by an older version of the documentation that says there is no software fencing. But the current version doesn't contain this sentence anymore.

Thanks - case closed.

Reactions: ph0x

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!