HA and Failback option

dixie2000

May 16, 2023
I just completed a HA test and after it completed somewhat successfully the VM's and CT's did not return to the primary nodes - see image below".

The guests migrated to PVE2 when PVE went unavailable and when PVE came back online they did not move back to PVE. Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance!

1714841906490.png

I just completed a HA test and after it completed somewhat successfully the VM's and CT's did not return to the primary nodes - see image below".
There is no such thing as a primary node in Proxmox. All nodes are equal.
The guests migrated to PVE2 when PVE went unavailable and when PVE came back online they did not move back to PVE. Am I missing something here?
Your guest are running fine on one of the nodes, so no migration is necessary, AFAIK.

Should all the guests that were moved to PVE2 go back to PVE once PVE becomes available again?
I though I already answered that: I would not expect guests "to be moved back". Why do you expect that? Your guest are running fine, so why would Proxmox migrate them again automatically?

Last edited:
Well I tested again. All the guests migrated over to PVE2. After PVE came back on line they all moved back to it - like I wanted. So I guess all is well!
If I am not understanding please let me know.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!