GUI refused to connect

merriett

Jul 30, 2022
I am brand new to this and am learning as I go.... don't be afraid to explain simple terms :)

I Installed Proxmox awhile ago and everything worked great. A couple of months ago, I followed this video to install a pfsense VM: https://youtu.be/Ik-jv3Jg4dU

It all looked good and seemed to be working. I shut it all down and didn't come back for a couple months.

Now, I came back to play around with it some more and I can't access the GUI. The login on the device itself works. So, I'm not sure if it has something to do with the pfsense or if its something with my browser.

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-08 090312.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-08 090312.png
    350.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2022-08-08 090123.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-08 090123.png
    786.8 KB · Views: 40
hi,

The login on the device itself works.
check if the port is open: ss -antlp | grep 8006
if it shows you any output like "pveproxy" that means the service is running.
if not, then you can check journalctl to see if there are any errors when starting the GUI service (pveproxy)

Ok, so grep 8006 didn't work at all.

Any ideas why that would happen? or how I can fix it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-08 094512.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-08 094512.png
    385.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2022-08-08 094451.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-08 094451.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Journalctl attached

If it is easier to just totally wipe the whole thing clean and start over, I am totally ok with that. I just started playing around with this and really haven't done much (besides mess it up, LOL).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-08 104655.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-08 104655.png
    874.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Ok, so grep 8006 didn't work at all.

Any ideas why that would happen? or how I can fix it?
it seems like it worked (you just forgot a space after grep ;) ), and the pveproxy service is running according to the ss output... (see the bottom of your screenshot, with *:8006

the journalctl you've attached doesn't tell much, but i guess since the service is working it should be fine.

so if you still cannot access the host with the service running then we can look at a couple of things:
- check if pve-firewall is enabled on your server
- check if the IP address of your machine is correct, you can verify with ip a
- are you on the same network segment as your PVE server when trying to access it? e.g. can you ping the IP address and get a response?

I have the same problem with no access to gui. I have used proxmox for over a few months, all has been running perfectly. I have numerous vms installed servers, ubuntu etc. never an issue. but yesterday it refused to let me have the gui. I can sign in on the server screen. (I have the proxmox on hardware with monitor). I can see the node, but what I cant do is get out, when I try to update, or download anything by the CLI, it fails.

is there any commands I can check to find whats stopped and how to restart? I hard started the computer, to no avail, I checked all cables, switch and router all works great, i swapped ethernet cables from a good computer to the proxmox machine, still no good.
I have good internet access, chrome, firefox, edge none of them bring up the gui.

Im concerned I have some software corruption because I havent updated proxmox, nor have I shut down the computer running prox mox.
Or my nic card died on me. i do see both lights flickering on the ethernet connection...but still I cant download grep ( its not installed) nor can I install net-tools...since proxmox cant find its way out of the box.

again all attempts to update, or download into proxmox from the root shell fails.

on the proxmox host what output does ip r and ip a produce?

ip r default via xxx.xxxx.xxx dev vmbr0 proto kernel onlink
xxx,xxx,xxx,1,0/24 dev vmbr0 kernel scope link src my-ip-for proxmox.

ip a

shows 6 different ip addys
1. lo loopback
2. enp2so broadcast, mulitcast, up lower, mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo master vmbr0 state up group default qlen 1000
link ether...mac addr
3. vmbr0 broadcast, multicast, up lowerup...same as 2
inet xxx.xxx.x.101/24 scope global vmbr0
4. vmbr1 (this is my pfsense) broadcast, multicast, same as 2 and 3
link ether mac addy
inet6 addy xx.xx.xx.xx.
5. tap203i0 broadcast multicast promisc up lower up vmbr0 pfifo master vmbr0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link ether addy
6. tap203li same as above 5
link ether xx.xx.xx.xx.

Can you ping from any other device to 192.168.86.45?
Can you ping from the console of PVE to 192.168.86.1 ?
Can you ssh into 192.168.86.45 from any other device on the network?
Do you have any VMs running: qm list
If you do stop them : qm stop [vmid]
What does this show: pve-firewall status

From any other device that is working:
What is the IP address of this device?
If its windows - what does "ipconfig" show for Default Gateway?

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
the information in the screenshot you posted shows

'eno1: <NO-CARRIER, BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP> .... vmbr0 DOWN'

suggesting there is no link detected between host and switch, possible cable fault perhaps? do you have link lights on the switch and nic port?

Reactions: bbgeek17
I can ping from my computer 192.168.86.45 (see attched)
IPconfig attached
I can't ping from pve 192.168.86.1 (see attached, this kept going and going...)
I do have a vm for pfsense. I followed this video when I installed the vm for pfsense https://youtu.be/Ik-jv3Jg4dU
I don't know how to stop a vm, I tried your vm stop [vmid] (see attached) a few different ways LOL (I didn't know exactly how to type it) see attached.

Attachments

• ping computer.png
    ping computer.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2022-08-12 161339.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-12 161339.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2022-08-12 161034.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-12 161034.png
    525.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2022-08-12 161916.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-12 161916.png
    247.9 KB · Views: 14
1) You dont need to attach blurry screenshots from systems that are connected to internet . Its much easier for audience to read properly formatted text. You can use the "code" formatting.
2) As highlighted by @bobmc , your screenshot from yesterday shows that you have no physical connectivity on proxmox host. Has that changed? What does "ip a" show right now? is eno1 up? If it is - what has changed between yesterday and today?
3) If the network is down and you are "able" to ping it, that means you have an IP conflict - some other device on your network has that IP.
This is consistent with the first error you posted which stated "Connection Refused" rather than "Site cannot be reached"
4) In Proxmox [vmid] is a numerical value. Your VM has a vmid of 100. The command you are looking for is "qm stop 100"

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!