GUI availability from all NIC's

iofractal

Mar 23, 2020
I am running proxmox 6.1-3
2 Nic's
pve is running on nic 1 which is the external interface
nic 2 is the internal interface

Untangle is installed with nic 1 external and nic 2 internal

All the workstations are getting to the internet and that is functioning great.

I want to get into the proxmox gui and I have to be connected to the external interface to get to it. I have thought about switching the interfaces but that just introduces other configuration issues like needing something connected to the internal network to actually configure it.

1. My biggest concern at the moment is one that I have a server already onsite and running and now I am not able to get access to it since the GUI is on the external interface and anything I do to fix it would likely cause issues for the customer and my remote access to the environment. I know i can go onsite and adjust it but would like to find another solution.

2. I will be doing more of these and gui availability on both networks would really make the setup so much easier. Then disabling on the external once onsite.

Hi,

Proxmox VE at the default setting is listen to all IP which the host got.
So you need an IP on NIC 1. It must be a public IP and it can't be the same as you use in Untangle.

If you have access to ssh you can also connect to the GUI over this IP.
If not then check the firewalls.

from the external adapter yes I could at the time connect to the ssh and the GUI but we didn't want that. I figured it out and moved the GUI to the internal network so its only accessible from the internal network.

This is my first experience with this product but I really expected way better responses from a Proxmox Staff Member. We haven't purchased a support contract yet.

This is the community forum that does not include an analysis of your specific situation.

We're happy to give free tips, but if you need specific help, you'll need a support subscription that is "Basic" or higher. You can then open a ticket in the support portal and an employee will help you in detail.

Just wanting to move the GUI from one interface to another or use on both interfaces doesnt seem like I am trying to re-invent the wheel.

The user interface is not limited to one interface.
It works with all IP addresses that the host is listening on.
So if the host has two interfaces, each with an IP, the GUI works on both.
You can limit this with the firewall if you want to deactivate the GUI on an interface.

I have two nics both have ip address but I cannot get to the gui from the other nic. Does it need an entry in the host file?
The nic that I can get to the gui on is the one that has a host file entry with the pve entry.

NIC's don't have IP's, host computers do. Does the host itself have an IP on both NIC? If one of them has only VM's listening on it then the host won't get any requests on that one. In that case you must set up a VM as a router that has interfaces on both networks or else give the host an IP on the second network.

This is just regular IP networking stuff, not Proxmox-specific other than it is all virtual.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!