Guest has not initialized display (yet)

zappa

Oct 31, 2022
I am trying to use SPICE on a windows 11 vm, but when ever I go over 128 MB of memory I get the following error: "Guest has not initialized display (yet)"
I would like at least 256 or 512 MB so that I can watch YouTube videos and have the audio be in sync with the video.

How can I fix this?

The machine I am running Proxmox VE on is an AMD 3950x, 16GB ram, RTX3060. (So I dont think that is the problem?)

Is it at all possible to go over 128 MB or ram with SPICE?

I am surprised that more people dont want this, this is really something that should be fixed ASAP.

Just tried that, but still the same issue, as soon as I go over 128 MB Video memory I get the "Guest has not initialized display (yet)" error message.
From a quick test, it seems switching to i440fx only helps when SeaBIOS is used, but not with OVMF.

From a quick test, it seems switching to i440fx only helps when SeaBIOS is used, but not with OVMF.

Okay, so just to confirm, I need SeaBIOS and i440fx in order to be able to use more then 128 MB or GPU memory?

Are there any disadvantages of changing to SeaBIOS or i440fx when running Windows 11 pro? Performance hits or otherwise?

Okay, so just to confirm, I need SeaBIOS and i440fx in order to be able to use more then 128 MB or GPU memory?

Are there any disadvantages of changing to SeaBIOS or i440fx when running Windows 11 pro? Performance hits or otherwise?

I tried creating a new VM with SeaBIOS, i440fx and installing Win11 Pro, changing to SPICE 256mb, again, guest has not initialized display (yet)

So that didnt work.

I tried creating a new VM with SeaBIOS, i440fx and installing Win11 Pro, changing to SPICE 256mb, again, guest has not initialized display (yet)

So that didnt work.
Any other ideas? Or do we just wait for the bug to be fixed?

just to chime in on this:

i have the exact same issue. i need a dual monitor setup and thats worse in that sense as i can only use 64MB per "monitor" (2 * 64 = 128) and that makes it rather slow.

if it helps, this is my vm config:

Code:
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=sata0;ide2;net0
cores: 8
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
ide2: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.229.iso,media=cdrom,size=522284K
machine: pc-i440fx-7.2
memory: 24576
meta: creation-qemu=7.2.0,ctime=1687097175
name: charts
net0: virtio=<snip>,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win11
sata0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1,size=256G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=<snip>
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
vga: qxl2,memory=64
vmgenid: <snip>

it doesnt matter what i choose for machine type or bios or machine version, the result is always the same:

as soon as i add another MB to the vga memory it freezes at Guest has not initialized display (yet)

any help is very much appreciated.

Hi,
just to chime in on this:

i have the exact same issue. i need a dual monitor setup and thats worse in that sense as i can only use 64MB per "monitor" (2 * 64 = 128) and that makes it rather slow.

if it helps, this is my vm config:

Code:
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=sata0;ide2;net0
cores: 8
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
ide2: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.229.iso,media=cdrom,size=522284K
machine: pc-i440fx-7.2
memory: 24576
meta: creation-qemu=7.2.0,ctime=1687097175
name: charts
net0: virtio=<snip>,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win11
sata0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1,size=256G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=<snip>
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
vga: qxl2,memory=64
vmgenid: <snip>

it doesnt matter what i choose for machine type or bios or machine version, the result is always the same:

as soon as i add another MB to the vga memory it freezes at Guest has not initialized display (yet)

any help is very much appreciated.
maybe you have more luck with using VirGL GPU or VirtIO-GPU as the display: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-qm.html#qm_display

Hi Fiona,

thank you for this. i tried those but couldnt find a setting to add a 2nd monitor to any of the two. did i miss something?

thanks!
Oh, sorry, I missed that. There is a max_outputs property for virtio-vga too, like for qxl, but it's not exposed in Proxmox VE yet.

Feel free to open a feature request on our bugtracker: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

If you'd like to try it directly (feedback if the below change would already be enough is welcome), you can use (with the ID of your VM instead of 123):
Code:
qm showcmd 123 --pretty > start-vm.sh
change the option
Code:
--- a/start-vm.sh
+++ b/start-vm.sh
@@ -22,7 +22,7 @@
   -device 'vmgenid,guid=1cd86c7c-2ab2-4e10-a2be-59ad8668f516' \
   -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' \
   -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' \
-  -device 'virtio-vga,id=vga,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2' \
+  -device 'virtio-vga,id=vga,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2,max_outputs=2' \
   -device 'virtio-serial,id=spice,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9' \
   -chardev 'spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent' \
   -device 'virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0' \
and then run it directly with
Code:
chmod +x ./start-vm.sh
./start-vm.sh

Of course the command in the start-vm.sh script will not get updated by changes to the VM configuration and starting the VM via UI or qm will not see the max_outputs change.

Reactions: Moonwalk1059

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!