Guest Agent question - how can I tell if it's functional?

nethfel

Dec 26, 2014
Hi all,

I have the guest agent installed on a windows box. I've added in my vm conf file agent: 1 (per the pve docs) - the guest has properly installed the serial drivers, but how can I tell if it's properly functional (I read in a post ( http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/20905-Qemu-guest-agent-support-in-Proxmox?highlight=guest+agent ) that if the GA is installed, Proxmox, then the proxmox backups will use VSS - from what I understand the GA is also supposed to be able to help with things like shutdown of guest and such and on some systems their guest agent is able to report back info (like IP of guest) for display within the management interface (ie: Xenserver tools, and I think oVirt will do it if you have the oVirt GA (basically qemu GA) installed) - so how can I tell if my setup is working?

Hi,
you must test it manually, if you want to be sure it's working.

Follow the steps to verify it is running.
100 is your VM ID

[FONT=AndaleMono, serif]socat /var/run/qemu-server/100.qga -[/FONT]

{"execute":"guest-sync", "arguments":{"id":1234}}
{"return": 1234}
{"execute":"guest-ping"} {"return": 1234}

If you get the the return msg everything is ok.

Ok, I did that and it's not quite working right :) right now I'm trying to use the guest agent from spice-space.org but I think I'm going to have to take a different route... Are there any good tutorials for getting the guest agent together and working within proxmox for a windows guest? (ps I only have OSX and Ubuntu available with development tools installed, none of any form of mingw...)

sorry to make a revival of an old thread but where should we put this kind of command?

on the terminal
when you call
socat /var/run/qemu-server/100.qga -

you can instert
{"execute":"guest-sync", "arguments":{"id":1234}}

and you should get this as return msg
{"return": 1234}

thanks Cdracer because the wiki of qemu was speaking about another file.
for the guest-ping command I have a {"return":{}}
is that correct? or is it a problem with my installation?

Yes it is correct. If you have a problem the your qma return no answer or you can't connect to this socket.

Last edited:
mmmh okey good to know what could be a bad response of the server
thanks again
best regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!