Guest agent not running (w/ QEMU guest agent enabled in host options and virtio installed in guest)

jbssm

May 14, 2021
I am having a strange bug showing up.
I get the message "Guest Agent not running" on Proxmox, although on windows the Guest Agent is installed and confirmed running with `Get-Service QEMU-GA`.

On proxmox itself the output of `qm agent <vmid> ping` is that `QEMU guest agent is not running`. But, like stated it's surely running on windows (and I already tried to uninstall it and re-install it).

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Make sure you have the 'QEMU Guest Agent' option enabled in the guest's settings.

1. Install the latest QEMU guest agent in the Windows guest
2. Shut down the Windows guest
3. In the guest's hardware list, ensure that 'Display' is set to 'VirtIO-GPU'
4. In the guest's Options, enable the 'QEMU Guest Agent'
5. Start the VM

I was getting a black screen on boot issue when enabling the QEMU Guest Agent option, so setting the display to VirtIO-GPU fixed that for me.

Reactions: kernull

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!