[SOLVED] GRUB Rescue - Need help for beginner!

nigi

Jan 1, 2017
Hi,
I'm not very experienced with Linux core systems, but I think I've got a big, big problem:
After restarting my server, it doesn't boot anymore

GRUN loading.. Welcome to GRUB! error: no such device: 542d67217ce82747. error: unknown filesystem. grub rescue>

Can anybody give me support, what to do now? I've found some information in the internet, but I'm not sure if they are applicable to ZFS.
And before making something wrong it's better to ask here, I think.

Thanks
nigi

Thanks!
But there is a nex problem: I've got no partition >512 M
Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-10 um 19.07.58.png

how many disks you have ?
4 x 3T are zfs member
but seems missing the boot drive ?

Looks like an older Proxmox install (maybe updates several major versions?) where GRUB was used in combination with booting directly from ZFS. This turned out to be fragile and broke when people updates Proxmox and their ZFS pools. This was before proxmox-boot-tool and the 512MB ESP partitions. If so, then reinstalling (VMs from backup) might be the easiest solution. You can try putting the /boot directory (from the ZFS rpool) on a USB storage device and installing GRUB there to get it to boot again (but you'll need to keep it synced manually).

Hi gabriel, hi leesteken,
yes, this Server started (i think) with PVE 5.x a long time ago. While getting in contact with GRUB once in five years, I'm out of practice. So thank you very much for your support.
To avoid destroying any data, I've started with a new installation as mentioned by leesteken. My HDDs are about 5 years old :oops: and thats a good time to start with new SSDs or NVMEs ;-)
I've mounted the old ZFS pool. It's tricky to mount two pools named "rpool" ;-) But some of my dirs in /etc/ are empty!!! Espescially the PVE-dir with all settings! So I had to restore the settings from backup and now I'm mounting the old container and images and started to move them to my new pool.
the long and the short of it: I have to reconfigure almost the whole server, but all my VMs are still there! I'm happy! I love backups ;-)

Thank you very much!

daily alert : be careful running ZFS on consumer SSD ...
/etc/pve is always empty from another linux systems. because it's virtual folder running on a database pmxcfs
From Recovery section :
Code:
Recovery

If you have major problems with your Proxmox VE host, for example hardware issues,
it could be helpful to copy the pmxcfs database file /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db
and move it to a new Proxmox VE host.
On the new host (with nothing running), you need to stop the pve-cluster service and replace the config.db file (required permissions 0600). Following this, adapt /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts according to the lost Proxmox VE host, then reboot and check (and don’t forget your VM/CT data).
it's seems you can mount manually too, I've not needed yet

Last edited:
Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!