Grub failed after upgrade

Jan 18, 2017
Hello, today i upgraded one of my servers to the latest version.
After a reboot, i got a startup fault and come into the grub rescue mode.

Then i found a solution like this:
set prefix=(hd0,6)/boot/grub
insmod normal

After this, the server is starting again (YES:)), but i get this faults (attachments).
Who could tell / help me to fix this?

help me :) :)

Attachments

• proxmox1fault.png
    proxmox1fault.png
    710.3 KB · Views: 19
  • proxmox2fault.png
    proxmox2fault.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 17
Hello Bart,
Hello, today i upgraded one of my servers to the latest version.
After a reboot, i got a startup fault and come into the grub rescue mode.
Then i found a solution like this:
set prefix=(hd0,6)/boot/grub
insmod normal
After this, the server is starting again (YES:)), but i get this faults (attachments).
Who could tell / help me to fix this?

Reading your post it is not quite clear if you made an upgrade from a version 4.x to the latest 4.4 or from a 3.x

However, something went obviously wrong during this process. What you can do trying to repair a failed upgrade:

Code:
apt-get -f install

and/or

Code:
dpkg --configure -a

But from my feeling it is not very probable that this will help - maybe corrupted files because of a (HW) defect?

At least you can boot the system - save your locally stored data and reinstall Proxmox (if the above mentioned attempts fail).

I have made already a couple (hundreds) of upgrade in different versions - never have seen such a problem.

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Mr Holmes, tnx voor your reaction / support.
iam sorry, its a upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 :)

i tried the dpkg --configure -a options allready, but doesnt work.
Maybe at a new upgrade this problem will solved automaticly?
Could this be a problem to run proxmox for now? what do you think? (i dont have much time to reinstall the server right now. The server is in a cluster of 2 servers. The other server i didnt upgrade right now.

tnx for your reaction :)

Hmm, maybe i found the problem. I cant just checkin right now (production server).
I installed old pptp modules. I removed them now. So maybe the grub problem is sepperate from the modules problem.
tnx so far! When i reboot the server, i will reply here if this was the problem ;)

SOLVED! The modules were the problem :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!