Grub error after Proxmox installation

bryambalan

Jul 25, 2020
I have an R730xd with an H730p Mini controller in HBA mode and BIOS mode.
After installing Proxmox, I encountered a Grub error on the first boot.
"Error: attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0"

1723211513781.png

I've observed that the system is identifying all of my disks. I suspect that the root cause of the issue is that the disk I installed the operating system on is not being recognized as the primary disk (hd0). To troubleshoot this, I'll physically rearrange the disks so that the boot disk is the first in the boot order and then perform a fresh installation.

1723211676350.png

I left only 1 disk in the server, reinstalled Proxmox, and it's stuck on the same Grub screen again. What could be the issue?
1723214079840.png

I had this happen recently. I don't know why it happened... my Proxmox server has been running for months, it just happened spontaneously.

I read a bunch of threads (including this one), and found NO good answers. I decided I was going to try the install disk, and if necessary try to figure out how to reinstall Proxmox without killing my configuration.

Well, isn't there an "Advanced Options" item on the boot menu. Pick that and then select "Rescue Boot". When I did that, my Proxmox server just booted up, no problem. I figured it was the USB install disk so I rebooted without it and it booted smoothly into Proxmox. I didn't even have to do anything, the Rescue Boot simply fixed the problem.

Your problem may not get fixed this way, but it's the first thing I would recommend you try.

I had this happen recently. I don't know why it happened... my Proxmox server has been running for months, it just happened spontaneously.

I read a bunch of threads (including this one), and found NO good answers. I decided I was going to try the install disk, and if necessary try to figure out how to reinstall Proxmox without killing my configuration.

Well, isn't there an "Advanced Options" item on the boot menu. Pick that and then select "Rescue Boot". When I did that, my Proxmox server just booted up, no problem. I figured it was the USB install disk so I rebooted without it and it booted smoothly into Proxmox. I didn't even have to do anything, the Rescue Boot simply fixed the problem.

Your problem may not get fixed this way, but it's the first thing I would recommend you try.
I found out what it was: my blackplane and the PERC controller cable were having problems, and this was affecting access to the data on my disk.

I replaced these two parts and it started working perfectly again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!