GRUB boot error from USB (Attempting new install 7.3)

Paulev

Sep 4, 2016
I'm trying new install of Proxmox 7.3. I've downloaded and burned the iso image on usb using rufus. But, when it tries to boot i get grub error: "prohibited by secure boot policy" (see image). Anyone experience this? Thanks in advance for any feedback to fix issue.

Hi, yes I believe Secure Boot is enabled. Just been reading up on secure boot. I read its a useful feature to keep enable. Any info as to why Proxmox don't support it? Is there any work around to install proxmox having it enabled?

I have read the below comments via thread below and noted Proxmox don't support secure boot yet. Comment was since July/2019. Wondering when they will support this feature? Not fully sure of the pros & cons disabling secure boot. I guess i will just disable for now.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-to-enable-secure-boot-on-pve-6.55831/

Jul 11, 2019
We don't offer signed kernel images or Grub (yet), so there is no Secure Boot with PVE.

If I remeber right, it should come soon.
Someone of the staff posted a date some weeks/months ago.

Edit:
2 months ago:
The CentOS, Ubuntu or Debian ISOs are signed with Microsoft's UEFI secure boot key that's backed-in in most HW sold, the Proxmox VE ISOs (currently) are not signed with that. We plan to apply for this via the rh-shim sometime next year.
So hopefully 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: majorgear
Hey Dunuin thanks for your reply and comments... Glad to hear something in the works with this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!