GPU Passthrough Troubleshooting: Constant BAR 0 Can't Reserve Mem Errors

planedrop

Jan 10, 2021
Wanted to start off this post that I have done my due diligence, already tried the following tutorials/troubleshooting:

And I'm getting close but am troubleshooting one last thing. I can boot the VM and ProxMox shows up on the GPU output but it never finished booting into Windows 10.

My dmesg output fills up with:

• vfio-pci 000:09:00.0 (the GPU ID): BAR 0: can't reserve [mem 0xe0000000-0xefffffff 64bit pref]

I'm really not sure where to go from here, I even tried the GPU romfile setting with no luck. Here is all my system and config info:

Specs:

• Ryzen 1600
  • 16GB of RAM
  • ProxMox 6.4
  • AMD RX580 8GB GPU in Primary PCIe slot, it's an ITX system so trying another slot is a no go
  • ASRock Motherboard (will need to lookup the model)
BIOS Settings:

• CSM disabled
  • IOMMU enabled
  • Virtualization enabled
VM Config Settings:

r/Proxmox - GPU Passthrough Troubleshooting: Constant BAR 0 Can't Reserve Mem Errors

r/Proxmox - GPU Passthrough Troubleshooting: Constant BAR 0 Can't Reserve Mem Errors

Edit: wanted to show my grub settings as well:

The part after the cutoff above for the default settings.

did you end up solving this? I am having the same issue after a reinstall on a system that used to work fine.

If you updated to pve-kernel-5.15, then you might also need the video=simplefb:off kernel parameter. With the recent kernels, I found that not blacklisting admgpu and not binding the device to vfio-pci for my RX570 works best.
I use vendor-reset to make sure it resets properly after amdgpu has used the GPU during boot of the Proxmox host. Since kernel 5.15, you need to specify a device-specific reset before starting the VM: echo 'device_specific' >"/sys/bus/pci/devices/${PCI_ID_OF_GPU}/reset_method".

Reactions: rifaterdemsahin
any timeline for this to be fixed or should I sell my radeon 7 ?

View attachment 36412
That does not need fixing. You can now chose which method to use (and it is not part of Proxmox). Before starting the VM run echo 'device_specific' >"/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:03:00.0/reset_method". Or just run it automatically when starting Proxmox, via cron or /etc/rc.local or whatever works best for you.

Reactions: rifaterdemsahin
That does not need fixing. You can now chose which method to use (and it is not part of Proxmox). Before starting the VM run echo 'device_specific' >"/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:03:00.0/reset_method". Or just run it automatically when starting Proxmox, via cron or /etc/rc.local or whatever works best for you.

thanks added this as cron jobs
1651440558927.png

how can i check if it works ?

thanks added this as cron jobs
View attachment 36421
That should work for the Radeon VII but you don't need vendor-reset for your RX 6900XT. Better to not change the reset_method for the RX 6900XT (0000:43:00).
how can i check if it works ?
Does the Radeon VII reset properly and work in the VM (even after shutting the VM down and restarting it)? Do you see lines in journalctl -b 0 with AMD_VEGA20 or lines with performing reset?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mesingel
In my case, I already had a script in my crontab, which did the following for each PCIe device to be ignored by the host OS:
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:03:00.0/remove
Ending with a rescan:
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan

I thought to replace the command with the aforementioned one, but you seem to still need both (which makes sense, I suppose?).

Anyways, I mostly wanted to thank leesteken for teaching me the journalctl -b 0 command, which shows the journal logs (if available) starting from a system boot. There's much I need to learn... :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!