(GPU passthrough) RX 580 not working but RX 470

Hell Angel

May 1, 2019
hi everyone,
I have RX 580 and RX 470 to passthrough on proxmox. Everything is fine with RX 580 until install driver, it's freeze the VM (not host, i have to qm stop XXX to shutdown it) but very weird that RX 470 was working ok although with installed driver. I tested both card on windows 10 host still installed driver normally on RX 580 without bug, I also tested with game, no bug with RX 580.
Note: I tested with single PCI-E (on the same PCI-E), not dual card on Proxmox but RX 580 still not working on VM, freeze the VM. RX 580 and RX 470 have same ID on lspci -n -s XXXX but different on (rev...). RX 580 worked fine on esxi.
Someone help me :(

Last edited:
hi update:
I got: Status: internal error
AND
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=26:00.0,id=hostpci0.0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-1,addr=0x0.0,multifunction=on: Failed to mmap 0000:26:00.0 BAR 0. Performance may be slow

Look into "AMD reset bug". I'm pretty sure it affects cards RX5* and up (inc. Vega).
no, it's not the reset bug
now both work but:
Hi everyone,

py9D8EY.png

I passthroughed my GPUs successfully with Proxmox (above picture) but there are some problems, wish you guys can help me fix it:

1: When my host is reset or shutdown, I have to unplug the HDMI cables. If not, I cant start the VMs (the VM with HDMI unplugged), with error:

Failed to mmap 0000:27:00.0 bar 0. performance may be slow....

and when GPU driver loaded with windows the VM will be freezed, but host not. If I unplug the HDMI cables when the host is shutdown, then leave it headless, everything is ok, I can check through RDP, then plug the HDMI cables to VMs are fine too, no freezed. But you know it is very inconvenience, I want a way to fix it. This problem does not occur with Esxi but Proxmox. I switched to Proxmox because it's very easy to passthrough mouse and keyboard, in Esxi I have to passthrough all of USB controller and have to buy a USB PCI-E card for second VM, it is inconvenience too.

I also used:

echo "blacklist radeon" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo "blacklist nvidia" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

and check in:

lspci -v

I saw GPUs was using: Driver of Vfio. So I think this is not a problem. I feel the host still eat the GPU although it cant load the driver

2: I want to use my CPU host name not the Common "Ugly" KVM

when I tried:

cpu: host,hidden=1,flags=+pcid
args: -cpu 'host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off'

Yesterday, it worked fine, it showed the real CPU name

But today, it gave me:" host doesnt support reqested feature: CPUID.01H.ECX.pcid (bit 17) then it BOSD itself during windows load. How so ?

And can I affinity the CPU core/thread to VMs ?

3: I want to add new NVME SSD to VMs to use on VMs but is there any way to VMs use on the same Drive ?, like network Drive. I saw on net cafe they boot windows through the LAN and run games on it, the computers dont need a Hard disk.

4: can I limit bandwidth on VM's vlan ?

5: Very inconvenience, the Proxmox OS changed my time in BIOS automatically, it made the time slower than 7 hours, when I changed in BIOS then load Proxmox, it changed again. It made the VM wrong time too, I really hate it.

6: Is there a way to use Parsec without a HDMI dummy or monitor ? some people told me that use a resistor on DVI port but mine is DVI-D :').

My testing system:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X 6 core/12 thread

Main: X370 Gaming K4 latest BIOS AGESA 1.0.0.6

RAM: DDR4 16 GB

GPUs: RX 470 + RX 580

PSU: CM V1000

a bunch of SSDs and HDDs

Thanks in advance! :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!