GPU Passthrough - not displaying boot sequence

tsumaru720

May 1, 2016
Hi All

I've been playing around with GPU passthrough recently and whilst I've got it working - I only ever get anything displayed once the guest OS has booted and the driver has loaded. I dont see any of the boot sequence or even the EFI loading screen.

I've tried a different vbios for my card too but this has the same behaviour - Does anyone have any ideas what might be stopping the display working outside of the drivers being loaded on the guest?

Thanks

I have a similar thing with a GPU that has no EFI support in the BIOS of the card (too old). I could not get my HD 7750 passed through as the primary GPU without OVMF.

My work-around is to add serial0: socket and vga: serial0 to the VM configuration.
Inside the VM I added console=tty0 console=ttyS0 to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT setting and also added GRUB_TERMINAL=serial to /etc/default/grub (run update-grub afterwards).
This way, I can watch the GRUB menu and the Linux boot process via a virtual serial terminal using qm terminal.

Hi there

Thanks for the feedback - but in this instance I dont think it'd help as my guest is Windows (Although I do have this issue with both Linux and Windows guests).

I'm pretty sure my card has a proper EFI rom (I cant remember the tool I used to check but it dumped the vbios from the card and said it was EFI capable (As did the rom I downloaded)

I have an nvidia 1050ti if thats important
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197634/msi-gtx1050ti-4096-170710

Hi there

Thanks for the feedback - but in this instance I dont think it'd help as my guest is Windows (Although I do have this issue with both Linux and Windows guests).

I'm pretty sure my card has a proper EFI rom (I cant remember the tool I used to check but it dumped the vbios from the card and said it was EFI capable (As did the rom I downloaded)

I have an nvidia 1050ti if thats important
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197634/msi-gtx1050ti-4096-170710
hey how you doing?

so i found myself having the same issue.

i can confirm its about the graphics card because:
it was working with my 1650 and its not working with my newly 3060 EVGA.

i went back ot the 1650 just to confirm today, and it is indeed because of that. Problably if i use a different port (hdmi for eg.) it might work?

i need to check

just checked. no luck with HDMI port either. i guess its about the card. for me, 3060 doesnt do it. but 1650 does it. strange things but it is what it is

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!