GPU Passthrough issue with HD7770 Sapphire Flex

Oh ok, should work I think.

can you connect a monitor to debug it ?
[/COLOR]

Okay,

i uploaded a video about whats happening...

Windows Boot-Logo comes up and disappears then nothing happens... the monitor is on and receives a signal (--> no standby)

The Video Card has 4 video outputs, i am connected to DVI (i tried both). Next week i can test hdmi - i don't think it will change anything because if the desktop comes up on another output the VM should be reachable via network.

[video=youtube;FVTN9PdxhkU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVTN9PdxhkU[/video]

Last edited:
Okay,

i uploaded a video about whats happening...

Windows Boot-Logo comes up and disappears then nothing happens... the monitor is on and receives a signal (--> no standby)

The Video Card has 4 video outputs, i am connected to DVI (i tried both). Next week i can test hdmi - i don't think it will change anything because if the desktop comes up on another output the VM should be reachable via network.

[video=youtube;FVTN9PdxhkU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVTN9PdxhkU[/video]

Damn, this is super strange.

All seem to be ok (bios display , windows boot).
Maybe it's something related to the windows drivers ? But this is strange that you don't have working network.
I'll try to find some informations abou this.

Damn, this is super strange.

All seem to be ok (bios display , windows boot).
Maybe it's something related to the windows drivers ? But this is strange that you don't have working network.
I'll try to find some informations abou this.

In my opinion the start-screen disappears a way to fast.

Maybe i try to set up another windows machine with x-vga=on from the beginning.

Edit:

I'm starting a new installation right now

Edit2:

No issues until now... see the windows desktop... installing vnc right now

Edit3:

Hmm, after some minutes there was a flickering on the monitor and it's gone black... restarted the VM and could login, but few seconds later the screen turned black, too.
Now i am at the same point as the other VM.

Gonna try Windows 7 now :)

Edit 4:

:( It seems to me that the Windows 7 VM runs very good (no flicker and black screen) BUT after i installed my catalyst driver i got blue screen after reboot
Will try another driver version

Edit 5:

Still BlueScreen with a different driver. I have no ideas anymore :(

BlueScreen Message:
IMG_20140809_135101_111.jpg

usual behaviour that the Videocard can dropped out the system like a USB-Stick?
gpu.jpg

Edit 6:

Installed only the driver without the amd crap, same problem

Should I try a NVIDIA Card?

Edit 7:

Ordered a Geforce GTX750 TI today... will see what kind of problems i get with this card :D

Last edited:
Great to known :)

Do you have used some special kernel options - iommu tuning ?

I'll try to keep the wiki updated with differents users setups.

Hi,

nothing changed in my setup.

I still have the "pcie_acs_override=downstream" patch "active".

Hmmm,

pci express passthrough works over all lanes or just one lane? (pcie x1)?

because:

pciex1.jpg

looking at the info on https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768 tells me that x2,x4,x8,x16 are supported :/

and GPU-Z tells me:

gpuz.jpg

so everything is fine? fyi: the MB supports x8 max

But only pcie v1.1 not 3.0?

After restart i got 3.0???

pciev3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi!

I am having the exakt same problem with an ATI 280x.

When I enable x-vga the console says "This VM has no graphic display device" but on the screen connected it shows the image. I can move the mouse through the console but keyboard ins't working.
I am using win 8.1 x64 and when it goes in to repair mode it does not hang, I idled there for a few hours yesterday. As soon as windows starts to load a driver for the card (at least thats how it seems since it does not hang in repair mode) it crashes and reebots.
The only difference being that I see the crash screen.(compared to the video in the thread)

I have no other PCI-e device attached to my Proxmox.
Removed the x-vga, windows now finds a ATI device I installed the drivers and enabled x-vga again same result.

Is there hope for using passthrough with an ATI card? :)

Hi mcflym,
I'm trying a very similar thing and I'm using GTX 780 Ti cards but I couldn't couldn't get rid of "Code 43" in the guest OS yet.

Do you use the 3.10 Kernel from pvetest?
And could you post your cmdline, blacklist, VM's .conf and lspci please? (And if you made any other related changes, those as well)

Also did you compile anything yourself or update anything?

This would help me A LOT. :D

Last edited:
Hi mmm,

lspci:
root@proxmox:~# lspci00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3 Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x8 Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev d5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation C222 Series Chipset Family Server Essential SKU LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series Chipset Family Thermal Management Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1380 (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0fbc (rev a1)
02:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)
03:00.0 PCI bridge: ASPEED Technology, Inc. AST1150 PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev 03)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 30)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

cmdline:
root@proxmox:~# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.10.0-4-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet pcie_acs_override=downstream intel_iommu=on

VM-conf:
hostpci0: 01:00,pcie=1,x-vga=on,driver=vfiomachine: q35

yes i use the latest 3.10 kernel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!