GPU Passthrough for Intel NUC7i7DNH1E

Jarvar

Aug 27, 2019
Hello,
I probably should have asked this before I put it into use. However, I sawa post on the Facebook group for Proxmox about passing through GPU for an Intel NUC setup.
I have setup a Windows Server 2019 VM in Proxmox 6. The server is setup headless and something like 6 workstations connect to it utilizing an SQL Express database as well as a flat file databse to serve up Xray images. I have not heard back from anybody saying the connections or network was slow....

I did not setup or intentionally setup GPU Pass through, but I have the Virtio drivers setup as recommended under best practices.
Is there a clear benefit to setting up GPU Pass through? or it's fine how it is setup?
I would appreciate any assistance, and if you require more details from me, just let me know.

GPU passthrough is only necessary if the services in your VM are using the GPU (e.g. Photoshop et.al., games, OpenCL/CUDA, etc...). If everything is running fine as it is, it would provide no benefit. On the contrary, some extended features like live migration and snapshots don't work when GPU passthrough is enabled.

GPU passthrough is only necessary if the services in your VM are using the GPU (e.g. Photoshop et.al., games, OpenCL/CUDA, etc...). If everything is running fine as it is, it would provide no benefit. On the contrary, some extended features like live migration and snapshots don't work when GPU passthrough is enabled.

Thank you so much Stefan, this is very helpful.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!