GPU Passthrough Fans not Working

Nemo6262

Oct 8, 2019
So after many weeks of struggling and scrolling through a lot of forums, I finally got 2 Windows 10 VMs working on my current build. Everything works fine, until I turn either one of the VMs on. Then the GPU assigned to said VM turns its fans off. I have tested the GPUs in a different computer and they work fine. I have also noticed that when I turn the VMs off, proxmox goes ahead and starts the fans back up normally. I have installed the current Nvidia Drivers and I have tried doing a fresh install, nothing has worked. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I apologize in advance, I am new to proxmox.

Current Build:
2950x Threadripper 2
64GB of RAM
2x Gigabyte 1080 Tis OC
1x Spare GPU for proxmox to output terminal on
Alot of storage

Proxmox Version (found using pveversion):
pve-manager/6.0-4/2a719255 (running kernel: 5.0.15-1-pve)

Grub:
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Proxmox Virtual Environment"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet amd_iommu=on iommu=on video=efifb=off, vesafb=off pcie_acs_override=downstream pci=noaer"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs"

VM config:
Code:
bios: ovmf
boot: dc
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 8
cpu: host,hidden=1,flags=+pcid
efidisk0: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-1,size=128K
hostpci0: 42:00,pcie=1,romfile=gigabyteGTX1080Ti.rom,x-vga=on
ide2: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.171.iso,media=cdrom,size=363020K
machine: pc-q35-3.1
memory: 15258
name: VM1
net0: e1000=92:52:A8:9E:48:FB,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1
numa: 1
ostype: win10
sata0: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-0,size=100G
sata1: local-userFiles:vm-101-disk-0,size=2000G
scsi2: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-2,size=10G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=f5f3a9d6-e83e-4438-a7ff-32479c6813f5

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to clarify how I have my system set up. I have all the current Nvidia Drivers installed and Windows is fully updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
until I turn either one of the VMs on. Then the GPU assigned to said VM turns its fans off. I have tested the GPUs in a different computer and they work fine. I have also noticed that when I turn the VMs off, proxmox goes ahead and starts the fans back up normally
Do the fans turn on once you run something that produces a higher load on the GPU like a game?

From my own experience I can tell that my GPU when booted to windows keeps the fans off unless there is a high load on it. They are always on when booted to Linux.

No, I have tried running both a benchmark and a game. With the game, task manager was reporting over 50% usage on the GPU so I assume I was testing with a high enough load that the fans should spin. They did not.

I just spent ages on this problem only to find out that the fans on my specific card don't cut in until 65 degrees, must have farted around for day thinking i had a problem. best thing i suggest is to plug in another drive and install vanilla windows, install the drivers and run a bench mark to see if your fans cut in like that.

Reactions: SamirD

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!