GPU passthrough crashes host

SunBlack

Jun 22, 2017
I currently trying to passthrough a GPU to my VM.

System:
- Intel Xeon 2630v2 (no embedded GPU)
- 2x Nvidia 770 GTX

I performed a fresh installaion of proxmox 4.4 and followed this guide. If I now start a VM with GPU passthrough host is always crashing (even with a fresh created VM at first start, so before installation of any OS in this VM).

But there is a issue which I don't understand. I'm not able to get ROM of both VGAs (tried it direct after installation of Proxmox and after setting up passthrough):

Code:
root@proxmox:~# cd /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:02:00.0/
root@proxmox:/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:02:00.0# echo 1 > rom
root@proxmox:/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:02:00.0# cat rom > ~/vbios.bin
cat: rom: Input/output error
root@proxmox:/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:02:00.0# echo 0 > rom
Same happens with the other GPU (03:00.0). But this code works if I install Xen 7.2 on the system, so it is not a general hardware issue (with Xen 7.2 GPU passthrough works so far, expect a Code 43 issue, so I'm trying it again with proxmox). After extracting ROM with Xen worked I checked with rom-parser that both GPUs really support EFI and they do.

Any idea how to track down this issue (or any helpful logfile)?

//Edit: This time it worked (except getting ROM via proxmox)

Last edited:
Found the issue when host is crashing: Combining GPU passthrough with RAM balloning seems to be broken. Our system has 128GB memory. I have enabled balloning with 4GB at minimum and 128GB at maximum, so the VM can use all free memory. Without GPU passthrough Windows starts. With GPU passthrough host is crashing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!