Good way to modify corosync.conf in our cluster

Feb 24, 2020
Hello to the Proxmox and users teams,

I want to change the number of retry before corosync consider the node must be fenced.

The context :

Currently, we have 2 nodes and a qdevice. Each equipment is located in different city and different country (France and Sweden).

Code:
(A) Proxmox Server A (Provider One) ---------------------- (B) Proxmox Server B (Provider Two)
                 |                                                          |
                 \----------------------------------------------------------/
                                               |
                  (C) Qdevice on Debian server (in the company) + NFS share

Between the nodes, the network is not enough good for corosync with default parameters. We have a average of 50 ms of ping, and the documentation said that a maximum of 2 ms must be respected between nodes.

So the HA functionality is unstable and, randomly, the nodes are fenced. Some times, all nodes is fenced in 1 or 2 minutes.

As I can't modify the network architecture, I read the corosync documentation and I found a option that I think it can help.

The option is "token_retransmits_before_loss_const". The default is 4 retransmissions before forming new configuration. I want try a value of 40 .

So, here is question : Is the following is the best way to change de corosync configuration on our current cluster ?

My source of information : https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#pvecm_edit_corosync_conf

(The following will be done on only one node)

• Backup the current configuration

Code:
cp /etc/pve/corosync.conf /etc/pve/corosync.conf.bak

• Prepare the new configuration file :
Code:
cp /etc/pve/corosync.conf /etc/pve/corosync.conf.new

• Edit the corosync.conf.new file with the following modifications :

Original :

totem {
cluster_name: xxx
config_version: 23
interface {
linknumber: 0
}
ip_version: ipv4-6
link_mode: passive
secauth: on
version: 2
}
Modified :

totem {
cluster_name: xxx
config_version: 24
interface {
linknumber: 0
}
ip_version: ipv4-6
link_mode: passive
secauth: on
version: 2
token_retransmits_before_loss_const: 40
token : 30000
}

• Replace the old configuration file with the new one:

Code:
mv /etc/pve/corosync.conf.new /etc/pve/corosync.conf

• Restart corosync :
Code:
systemctl restart corosync

As I don't want to break the cluster, if you see a error, don't hesitate to tell me !

Thanks in advance for the help or correction.

Best regards.

Last edited:
when you modifiy file in /etc/pve/corosync.conf, proxmox copy it ot /etc/corosync/corosync.conf to all pve nodes and restart corosync.
but for the qdevice, you need to do it manually. (as you don't have /etc/pve/ ).

also, shutdown HA first to avoid fencing.

systemctl stop pve-ha-lrm on all nodes

then

systemctl stop pve-ha-crm on all nodes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!