GNS3 on Desktop Proxmox

cabusar

Jan 11, 2019
Hello world :)

I have a Promox on a laptop with KDE for lab purposes and it work like a charm.
(install Proxmox and "apt install plasma-desktop")

Now i want to step up a little this lab by installing GNS3.

"apt-get install gns3-gui"

-> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gns3-gui : Depends: gns3-server but it is not going to be installed

After a few research, i found that libspice-server1 is needed by GNS3 but it enter in conflict with "pve-libspice-server1".

As i understand it, pve-libspice-server1 just add some stuff to the original libspice-server1 from spice-common for Proxmox needs.

So my guess is if i manage to tell the dependencies system on my Proxmox that pve-libspice-server1 is libspice-server1 it would work.

The other workaround would be to compile GNS3 by myself and link the pve-qemu-kvm to GNS3 in place of qemu-system-x86 originaly needed.

What do you recommend ?
Any tips or idea ?

Regards. :)

After a few research, i found that libspice-server1 is needed by GNS3 but it enter in conflict with "pve-libspice-server1".
As i understand it, pve-libspice-server1 just add some stuff to the original libspice-server1 from spice-common for Proxmox needs.

Exactly, but we tell the package management system that we not only conflict but also provide/replace libspice-server1, so this should not be your issue.

Code:
$ apt show pve-libspice-server1
[...]
Provides: libspice-server1
Conflicts: libspice-server1
Replaces: libspice-server1
[...]

The real issue is that our pve-qemu-kvm package has no "Provides" entry for "qemu-kvm" which gns3-server depends on. While you could force the installation this is not nice (you find various threads when searching for it, hints apt download and dpkg ignore-depends).

Oh, and the next time it may be good to mention that gns3-gui/server are not official Debian packages (only gns3 itself is), but that you pull them from an Ubuntu PPA[0] ;)

[0]: https://docs.gns3.com/1QXVIihk7dsOL7Xr7Bmz4zRzTsJ02wklfImGuHwTlaA4/index.html#h.l16c6wlbaxvm

Any link to instructions on how to install the GNS3 image as a VM?
I was trying to import the OVA but for some reason it will take the whole space even though I was installing it on a thin LVM

Hello t.lamprecht. :)

Exactly, but we tell the package management system that we not only conflict but also provide/replace libspice-server1, so this should not be your issue.

Code:
$ apt show pve-libspice-server1
[...]
Provides: libspice-server1
Conflicts: libspice-server1
Replaces: libspice-server1
[...]

My bad i have not checked this, you are right.

The real issue is that our pve-qemu-kvm package has no "Provides" entry for "qemu-kvm" which gns3-server depends on. While you could force the installation this is not nice (you find various threads when searching for it, hints apt download and dpkg ignore-depends).

I wil check this, thanks.
Do you kown if pve-qemu-kvm is qemu-kvm with some additions for Proxmox ?

Oh, and the next time it may be good to mention that gns3-gui/server are not official Debian packages (only gns3 itself is), but that you pull them from an Ubuntu PPA[0] ;)

You are totally right, this could have save you some time i guess. Apologies. ;)

Edit : I try something (maybe stupid) :
I have modified /var/lib/dpkg/status an tell that pve-qemu-kvm replace qemu-kvm.
Now apt show pve-qemu-vm return this :

Code:
apt show pve-qemu-kvm
Package: pve-qemu-kvm
Version: 2.12.1-1
Priority: extra
Section: admin
Maintainer: Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com>
Installed-Size: 42.2 MB
Provides: qemu-system-arm, qemu-system-x86, qemu-utils
Depends: ceph-common (>= 0.48), glusterfs-common (>= 3.5.2-1), iproute2, libaio1 (>= 0.3.93), libiscsi7 (>= 1.17.0), libjemalloc1 (>= 2.1.1), libjpeg62-turbo (>= 1.3.1), libsdl1.2debian (>= 1.2.11), libusb-1.0-0 (>= 2:1.0.19), libusbredirparser1 (>= 0.6-2), libuuid1 (>= 2.16), numactl, pve-libspice-server1 (>= 0.12.5-1), python, libacl1 (>= 2.2.51-8), libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libc6 (>= 2.15), libcap2 (>= 1:2.10), libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.3), libfdt1, libgcc1 (>= 1:4.7), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.37.1), libgnutls30 (>= 3.5.6), libnettle6, libnuma1 (>= 2.0.11), libpixman-1-0 (>= 0.30.0), libpng16-16 (>= 1.6.2-1), librados2 (>= 0.72.2), librbd1 (>= 0.80.5-2~), libseccomp2 (>= 0.0.0~20120605), libsnappy1v5, libstdc++6 (>= 5), libx11-6, libxml2 (>= 2.6.27), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.0)
Conflicts: kvm, pve-kvm, pve-qemu-kvm-2.6.18, qemu, qemu-kvm, qemu-system-arm, qemu-system-common, qemu-system-x86, qemu-utils
Replaces: pve-kvm, pve-qemu-kvm-2.6.18, qemu-system-arm, qemu-system-x86, qemu-utils, qemu-kvm
Download-Size: unknown
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: /var/lib/dpkg/status

However the apt install gns3-server still want qemu-kvm and refuse to install the package.

To be continued... :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!