Gigabyte GA-990fxa-ud3 2 weird issues No network connection.

eminence

Apr 19, 2018
I have done a fresh install of latest Proxmox 5.1-3 on 3 machines to create a PVE/ceph home setup. Machine 1 ( HP z420 v2) works fine. Machine 2 ( custom build FX 8320e / Asus M5A78l-m/USB-3 mobo) works fine. Machine 3 ( FX 6300 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ver.3) has 2 separate issues.

GA-990FXA-UD3 does not have onboard GPU, I must use dGPU for install. Removed dGPU after install. Asus M5178l does have an onboard AMD gpu.

Fresh install of 5.1-3, non-subscription repository updates applied. For future reference I have performed clean installs, once with onboard Realtek NIC and once PCIe Intel NIC. Same issues below.

Issue1: This issue is a non issue long term as I am planning to run headless without a gpu. flashing cursor on screen during "shutdown -h now" or "halt". Hard drive thrashes for a bit and then I hear the heads park and mobo/ fans still run....forever, until I hold power for 5 seconds. However, this only happens on shutdown. It will reboot with no issues at all. I have tried both 1 AMD and 2 NVidia gpus. I have added acpi=force and apm=power_off=1 to /etc/default/grub. This MOBO has some iommu bugs that are solved if you add amd_iommu=1 and iommu=pt ( iommu=soft also works) to grub to avoid a bunch a error messages popping up. I have not tried any pass-through configs yet, nor will I. I cannot seem to fix this issue. It shouldn't be an issue as I want to run headless. This shutdown issue seems to disappear if I run headless..... which introduces/causes issue 2

Issue 2: booting headless/ no gpu. It appears to boot but NO network connections. During "boot" : Hard drive randomly thrashes/HDD LED activity like it is booting properly and eventually settles down as if it fully booted. Here a weird part with reference to issue 1: If I push power button ( just like my other 2 working nodes), hard drive starts thrashing for a bit, and node shuts down properly after a few seconds. Issue 1 goes away, with no GPU( I think...can't log on to see), but I have no network connections up to SSH into machine or webgui config it. I can't find this issue on google or proxmox forums.

I am not the most linux savy but get around well enough. Which logs should I be looking at for troubleshooting this network issue...after I reinstall a GPU to get into the physical terminal. I will need to look at previous logs as once I boot with GPU it will boot fine.

Last edited:
update 1: clean install of debian 9.4, get the same shutdown hang using shutdown -h now or halt with a GPU installed. However, "shutdown -h -f now" actually powered off the PC. Also, have the same network issue once I pull the GPU out and boot Debian 9.4 without GPU.

So I ruled out a Proxmox specific problem with my hardware. So it is at least a Debian issue.

Also, I did a "more" messages(I forget the command exactly, but it was on tecmint.com) log lookup prior to installing Debian. It mentioned booting Intel enp5s0, but lscpi states intel as 6 not 5. I then edited the /etc/networking/interfaces file to read enp5s0 for fun....still no go. I think I will test some CentOS for the above behaviors, and either get a differnet PC for that node, or use my old Dell t3500 Intel e5630( also works fine with proxmox 5.1-3). I thought I would try the AMD FX 6300 as it uses the same watts and has more cpu power and has a case/mobo with more drives/ports....off to test CentOS .....or maybe I won't bother...undecided.

It is like the devices are shifted or pointed to differnet hardware once I remove the GPU...or not since switching enp5s0 didn't help.

UPDATE 2: installed CentOS 7....same exact behavior despite 3.10 kernel. However I have resolved the shut down halt + hang thanks to CentOS displaying more things on shutdown, I found this which corrected issue(at least on Centos 7):

Solution: add the kernel boot parameter "acpi=noirq" in the quotes with "quiet splash....etc" of /etc/defaults/grub

However, It did still have the "no network" after pulling out the GPU to run headless problem still

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!