Gigabit server, upload only 20mbit unless I change the interface to 100mbit

tehsu

May 15, 2013
So I got my new dedicated server on a gigabit line setup, I got everything running fine, just that when I am testing my upstream bandwidth I get limited on the proxmox host and linux vms, but its fine on my windows vm, all vms are KVM.

To better explain

My Proxmox Host Bare Metal Server gets around 60Mbit maximum upload on speedtest cli, downloading from the server myself, I see 15-20Mbit even with testing iperf I get 5-20mbit. Testing the exact same stuff on Linux VPS(KVM) I get the exact same results as the host server, but testing with a Windows VPS(KVM) it maxes out my home connection at 10MB/s and easily get 400Mbit upstream bandwidth, now if I switch it to 100mbit using ethtool all my VPS and Bare Metals function perfectly fine and get 100mbit up and down just fine.

Downstream on Gigabit is fine, I see 300-400mbit just fine on all VPS and Host. Just the upstream is being very difficult and I've spoke to the host and they can't seem to find any issue with the hardware.

So I got my new dedicated server on a gigabit line setup, I got everything running fine, just that when I am testing my upstream bandwidth I get limited on the proxmox host and linux vms, but its fine on my windows vm, all vms are KVM.

To better explain

My Proxmox Host Bare Metal Server gets around 60Mbit maximum upload on speedtest cli, downloading from the server myself, I see 15-20Mbit even with testing iperf I get 5-20mbit. Testing the exact same stuff on Linux VPS(KVM) I get the exact same results as the host server, but testing with a Windows VPS(KVM) it maxes out my home connection at 10MB/s and easily get 400Mbit upstream bandwidth, now if I switch it to 100mbit using ethtool all my VPS and Bare Metals function perfectly fine and get 100mbit up and down just fine.

Downstream on Gigabit is fine, I see 300-400mbit just fine on all VPS and Host. Just the upstream is being very difficult and I've spoke to the host and they can't seem to find any issue with the hardware.
Hi,
what kind of NIC do you use inside the VM? If virtio, and if your VM has more than one core you need an recent kernel (for debian: wheezy or squeeze-backports).

Udo

Virtio, running it with 4 cores and running wheezy. On windows I am using e1000

this may be a silly question, but are you certain that the "other end" of your speed test can accomodate your wanted rates?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!