Get passed through device back to host?

unf0rg0tt3n

Sep 28, 2016
Netherlands
Hey Guys,

I have a question which I think is a stupid one to ask, but I can't get to find the answer to it.
How can I get a passed through device back to the host when the guest is no longer using it?
I know a power cycle helps, but that isn't nifty

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

If part of passing through the device includes blacklisting it at boot via modprobe.d modifications, you'll have to un-blacklist it. Otherwise, with devices like USB keyboard, mouse, etc it will be available when the guest is not using it.

If part of passing through the device includes blacklisting it at boot via modprobe.d modifications, you'll have to un-blacklist it. Otherwise, with devices like USB keyboard, mouse, etc it will be available when the guest is not using it.
It's a PCI-e HBA, I have blacklisted video drivers in the past and followed this tutorial: https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/co..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Which includes the following blacklists:
echo "blacklist radeon" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf echo "blacklist nvidia" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Does that also count as blacklisting for a HP smart array P822?
The guest isn't freeing the pci device but I can use it in other guests.

I don't think those blacklists commands are going to affect your card, but do you also have the ids for the card noted in /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf?

I don't think those blacklists commands are going to affect your card, but do you also have the ids for the card noted in /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf?
I did not put the id in that file. Put the card in this morning and passed it to my freenas. It did not work for some reason and wanted to figure that out. Could get the card back until reboot so want to figure that out even more haha .

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!