- German - HowTo: Proxmox VE 3.0 with Software-RAID

We support software RAID out of the box with ZFS.

ZFS isn't the best solution for every scenario dietmar. Maybe somebody needs something simple without the high memory and ECC-RAM requirements (Because everywhere you look it's stated to not use ZFS without buffered memory).

I know it's beating a dead horse but it's curious there's no official support for mdraid considering that in a hardware raid scenario the controller is a single point of failure. With mdraid the array is far more portable between systems and is not reliant on that single controller, but sure, it can be argued then that the motherboard becomes the single point of failure, however, the advantages here still outweigh the disadvantages . In addition the argument that hardware raid is better than software raid due to CPU offload, I believe, is a fallacy.

most mdraid setups use the cache from the harddrives. if you have a powerloss, you loose this data as there is no cache protection (powerloss protection).

if you have bad sectors on your disk, mdraid will NOT see this. you as an admin got a good status on your raid, but in reality you loose silently data.

there are MANY reasons why ZFS is chosen on Proxmox VE e.g. the protection against silent data corruption and the advanced feature set (snapshots, send/receive, ...)

you will find many articles about ZFS, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS

With proxmox, I seem to have only three official choices - a single drive, hardware RAID (which has its own problems, e.g. I need the exact same RAID controller whan my server hardware fails) or ZFS (needs lots of RAM, and it's not mature enough IMHO. ), then? I want to cover only the biggest risk, a disk failure. Anyway proxmox works fine on a sw RAID, it's just not supported in the install..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!