Generic Solution when install gets FrameBuffer Mode Fails

Wow! I was stuck for so long. Thank you for helping me!

At first, I wasn't sure where to type the commands, but then I found out that pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1 would take me back to the terminal. And then I saw it in the instructions :D

Logics also helped when mentioning how to adapt my code to my own graphics card.

ChatGPT gave me this snippet to identify VGA or HDMI, which I used.
Code:
lspci | grep -iE 'vga|hdmi'

Made an account just to say thank you for this, couldn't get proxmox going until i followed these steps and now I am in

I was installing VE 7.2 on my brand new host box... first ran into black screen after install begins -- see separate thread on that.

Then, install failed, with the X server conking out before anything graphical happened. Here's the generic solution:

1) Hit ctrl-alt-F2 to see the error screen from the install (and ctrl-alt-F1 to get back to the console ;) )

My particular error was: Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices

2) (Most likely your video device is not being properly handled) Here's how to find it and force generic VGA support..

This should show the vga compatible display device. If not, just look at lspci. (If you see no device, look elsewhere for help. This thread won't do it.) For me, my nVidia card is 01:00.0

3) Create a driver description file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Like this: (I called mine driver-nvidia.conf)

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "fbdev"
    BusID "pci0:01:0:0:"
EndSection

4) Then restart X

A couple of blinks and the first install script was on my screen! (EULA accept box)
This fixed things for my Beelink n100 Minis12 Pro. Thank you so much!

Depending on which text editor you used. If you went by the Youtube guide and used vi - it's ESC, ; (semicolon), then type wq (w - write changes; q - exit) and enter.
That's somewhat bad advice:
1) Yes, hitting ESC ends any data entry command (insert, append, 'open' (above or below this line) etc) )
2) Fancy commands do NOT begin with ";" (semicolon). They begin with ":" colon!
3) But easier than :wq is ZZ (capital Z, capital Z) which is save and exit.

vi -- there are a hundred ways to do what you want. Just like perl LOL

ChatGPT gave me this snippet to identify VGA or HDMI, which I used.
Code:
lspci | grep -iE 'vga|hdmi'
I am curious: I've never heard of a pure HDMI video interface card (ie one that says it is "HDMI"). What does lspci | grep -i hdmi show on your system? Every sample I can find shows "VGA compatible" for any video, and "HDMI" shows up on the audio controller (which doesn't matter for this.)

That's why I kept it simple as lspci | grep -i vga

TMI/Off Topic/Reply direct to me if you want to discuss ;): Always remember: ChatGPT is not smart. If it doesn't know, it will make up an answer that looks good (but is likely wrong!) At least in the past, they admitted that in the fine print. Any time it says it can't answer, someone specifically told it not to answer. In general, it lies rather than admit how dumb it is.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!