General HA Discussion

cswizard

Jan 13, 2012
Ringgold, Georgia, United States
I've built out a test environment for ProxMox 2.0b (specifications listed at the end of this post). Three node cluster set up with containers, images, backups, etc on nfs. Fencing established and HA configured. I performed my first failover test tonight by setting up one container (id 100) on node 1 for management by HA then shutting down the node 1 rgmanager. Container 100 successfully moved to node 2 and everything continued normally.

The behavior I observed was that when rgmanager on node 1 was started again, the container stayed on node 2 which may be expected, however I was unable to get the container back to node 1 without removing it from HA management. Every time I tried (online or offline migration) the container seemed to move back to node 1 but before it could start successfully, it was moved to one of the other nodes.

Can anyone speak to this behavior?

Warren D. 'Cal' Calhoun

Specifications
-------------
3 x Dell PowerEdge 1950 Servers
- Dual Quad Core 2.0 gHz Xeons
- 8 gB DDR2 ECC RAM (4x2 gB)
- Dual 73 gB SAS Drives, Raid 1
- DRAC-V Remote Access Cards

root@earth:~# pveversion --verbose
pve-manager: 2.0-18 (pve-manager/2.0/16283a5a)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-55
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-55
lvm2: 2.02.88-2pve1
clvm: 2.02.88-2pve1
corosync-pve: 1.4.1-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-1
libqb: 0.6.0-1
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.8-3
pve-cluster: 1.0-17
qemu-server: 2.0-13
pve-firmware: 1.0-14
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-11
libpve-access-control: 1.0-5
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-9
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve8
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

Three CentOS 6.2 openvz containers running on each physical device running a variety of services (zimbra, powerdns x 2, apache2 x2 [round-robin], mysql x2 [master-master replication], ldap, radius, management utilities, etc.

live migration via GUI for HA managed VM´s is not implemented yet, this behavior is expected and shows at least that HA is working.

take a look on the CLI commands, see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/High_Availability_Cluster#Testing

Thanks Tom. I suspected as much so it didn't alarm me very much. All-in-all things are looking pretty good. As the features get finished up and reliability increases, it's going to be a fantastic product. I'm looking forward to putting it into production.

Thanks

Cal

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!