[SOLVED] Garbage collection error "unexpected error on datastore traversal" appears regulary

antipiot

Jan 26, 2019
Hello!

I have a Proxmox Backup Server running for a while and sometimes encounter this error:
TASK ERROR: unexpected error on datastore traversal: No such file or directory (os error 2)
GC is scheduled to run daily.

1617170706682.png

Proxmox Backup server is in a VM on a Proxmox VE host (not the one who's backuped :) )
Datastore is on a zfs pool

Any idea why?

Regards!

JS

Hi,
I have a Proxmox Backup Server running for a while and sometimes encounter this error:
Did you update it frequently too, i.e., what version are you currently on?

Any idea why?
Does a prune job runs during GC? In early versions of Proxmox Backup Server the GC would error out if a backup index vanished during a run, but that was fixed quite a bit ago.

Hi! Thanks for your fast answer!
Hi,

Did you update it frequently too, i.e., what version are you currently on?
Yes, the servers are up to date: Backup Server 1.0-11
Does a prune job runs during GC? In early versions of Proxmox Backup Server the GC would error out if a backup index vanished during a run, but that was fixed quite a bit ago.
Seems they are yes, i will change the run times to mitigate this following what you said.
1617171702418.png
1617171670952.png

Regards

Last edited:
hmm, OK... But yeah, then I'd for now set the pruning schedule a bit earlier than GC, 10 minutes to half an hour should be easily enough. That way GC has a slightly better chance to clean up more data.

Reactions: aasami
Got the same error tonight:

Code:
2021-05-14T00:00:00+02:00: starting garbage collection on store local-storage
2021-05-14T00:00:00+02:00: task triggered by schedule 'daily'
2021-05-14T00:00:00+02:00: Start GC phase1 (mark used chunks)
2021-05-14T00:00:00+02:00: TASK ERROR: unexpected error on datastore traversal: No such file or directory (os error 2) - "/storage/vm/101/2021-05-05T21:00:01Z"

So maybe the default settings should be adapted or there should be a hint in the docs?

Cheers :)

+1 got the same error. It would indeed seem useful to update the defaults. Also, as of now, if you don't pick the "daily at 0:00" you can only pick the "daily at 2:30; 22:30" which actually seems to run the task (either prune or GC) twice. Having a "daily at 22:30" option by default would likely put this issue to sleep?

I ran into the same issue the past couple of days, and noticed that I can just put a time value in the box, so 04:00 instead of daily, and that seems to work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!