functionality questions

peterwynne

Jul 5, 2008
I have a couple of questions that I haven't managed to 100% confirm from the demo/documentation:
  • If I have the professional/unlimited version, will I be able to relay outbound mail for multiple external domains? I have a number of small customers that I would like to become an SMTP smarthost for. Naturally - outbound spam filtering will be great in this situation... Presumeably all I need to do is add the domain in and add their external IP as a trusted network. Then get their exchange server to forward mail to the proxmox on port 26?
  • Can I disable virus scanning and or spam filtering on mail traffic per domain? I have customers that do this at the mail server level and only need their mail stored in the event of a failer if required?
  • Does the licence lock you into a specific version? Can I setup a machine with proxmox & also have an identical VM setup for failover purposes?

Many thanks!

Hi Peter,

I have a couple of questions that I haven't managed to 100% confirm from the demo/documentation:
  • If I have the professional/unlimited version, will I be able to relay outbound mail for multiple external domains? I have a number of small customers that I would like to become an SMTP smarthost for. Naturally - outbound spam filtering will be great in this situation... Presumeably all I need to do is add the domain in and add their external IP as a trusted network. Then get their exchange server to forward mail to the proxmox on port 26?
Yes.
  • Can I disable virus scanning and or spam filtering on mail traffic per domain? I have customers that do this at the mail server level and only need their mail stored in the event of a failer if required?
we have a fully flexible rule system with priorities. so it should be possible build up rules in way you need it. I suggest to run a trial license and you play a bit with rule system -we can help.
  • Does the licence lock you into a specific version? Can I setup a machine with proxmox & also have an identical VM setup for failover purposes?
Many thanks!

You need a license for each running instance. if you plan hot standby, you need also a license for the backup machine. if you just start a new instance if the old breaks you can work with one license.

But if you need high availability, I highly recommend to use the Proxmox HA Cluster. Only here all data (quarantined email, the whole configuration, etc) is synchronized.

Also, I don't need LDAP querying, so - will I only need the unlimited standard version?
thanks.

one major limitation of standard unlimited:
all mail domains have to be coded into the license file. so you cannot change this on the web interface (you need to request a new license file in case of changes.

Professional Version: you can edit the list of mail domains on the web interface - fully flexible and the version you need.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!