From subscription to no subscription

etron770

Feb 14, 2018
What will happen if the server has a subscription and yo will end the subscription option:
Does the server will work after that?
The question comes up, because there was pve-no-subscription at /etc/apt/sources.list
After changing the hostname and rebooting there was an error message at apt update , that my IP does not match to any subscription
Therefor this question comes up to my mind

Using pve-no-subscription just gives you updates sooner (with or without a subscription) than the subscription/enterprise repository (which needs a correct subscription to allow you to download updates).

but why was i am running in the enterprise files with the pve-no-subscription in the source list when starting apt update?

but why was i am running in the enterprise files with the pve-no-subscription in the source list when starting apt update?
I can't tell you why your system was setup this way or what has happened to it in the past. I can only speculate on how something like this could have happened:
Maybe you or someone else with access put it there? Maybe it was used to update Proxmox before getting the subscription? As far as I know, the repositories are not automatically changed/removed when you enter a subscription. Maybe it was used to get some specific update earlier?

I did a complete new installation with debian bullseye and proxmox
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-install-repo.list
with
Code:
deb [arch=amd64] http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bullseye pve-no-subscription

and the issue of apt update:
Code:
E: Failed to fetch https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/bullseye/InRelease  401  Unauthorized [IP: 2a01:7e0:0:424::249 443]
E: The repository 'https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve bullseye InRelease' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
is that there is an file installed with
Code:
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list
looking to the timestamps it was installed during the installation ob Proxmox
So the headline of the tread might be wrong - is there a old tread matching this issue?

it seems that there is any kind of bug in the bullseye pve-non subsription installtation.
The installation added a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list file.
After that an apt update is throwing an error [...] https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/bullseye/InRelease 401 Unauthorized [IP: xxxx:yyyy:zzzz::249 443]

uncommenting the repository at /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list is solving the problem
(maybe also deleting /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list, but i did not try)

Last edited:
This is no bug, it is default and intended from the developers.

The error simply means, that you are not allowed/authorized to use this repository, because you have no active subscription. Therefore you have to disable it, like I described above.

You have to do this ever (if you do not have a active subscription), whether you install via the ISO or on top of an existing Debian installation from the no-subscription repository.

Maybe it not a bug, but It does not make sense, installing with pve-no-subscription from the console and pve throws the error with the first apt update.
It is a strange behavior an maybe it will cause newbies to search a long time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!