From single-node install to cluster?

rungekutta

Jul 19, 2021
Hi, first time poster, and new Proxmox user.

So I just migrated from ESXi and in the process created/moved 14 VMs and LXCs while at the same time moving to new hardware (Ryzen 5950x / 128GB RAM). My data store remains as before on a separate TrueNAS (bare metal), accessed by Proxmox via NFS. Homelab environment. All has gone well and I'm very happy with the power and flexibility of Proxmox, having spent a fair bit of time learning and setting it all up.

My next step was going to be looking at adding another node to create a a cluster, and here I realize that I may have messed up. Documentation seems to say you can't move a node to a cluster without losing all config - even the first one (that created the cluster in the first place)...? I don't fancy reconfiguring everything...

Did I understand this correctly, and if so, what are your thoughts on the easiest way from here to a cluster setup with 2 nodes?

Many thanks.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Ah, that’s great (and logical). So just to be very clear - I can keep all my current config including VMs/LXCs when I turn my current install into the first cluster node (by creating the cluster) - only subsequent nodes that join the cluster will get their config overwritten?

PS I won’t be using Ceph - will continue to use the same NAS and NFS even though it’s single point of failure.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!