fresh proxmox 4.4 no network access at all

offerlam

Renowned Member
Dec 30, 2012
Denmark
Hi all

Im sitting on a fujitsu server with IRMC (ILO DRAC and so on) access.

I have installed proxmox 4.4 but when it comes up it has no access to the network..

this is a small test setup, no fancy stuff. singel port connect to 8 port switch that talks to the rest of the office.

we do have a working proxmox 3.5 on the same switch, no problmes there..

I have NO clue why this just doesn't work out of the box..

this is my interface file
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 172.16.99.231
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 172.16.99.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

I have tried with adding

iface eth1 inet manual

didn't help

I have tried to set eth to 1 and 2 in the bridge port section - didn't help

I have done pve-firewall stop - didn't help

I have moved the cabel to second interface but this had no lights i the diods. not on the server or the switch. the server is connected to switch port 2 and it went out when moving the cable to the ethernet port. Moving it back brought light back on the switch which told me i have cabled it correctly.

I found a article, lost the link that said it was because my eth was raelly 2 and no 0. Don't know how that works out but that was why i tried changeing the eth to both eth1 and eth2.

when i do:
ifdown -a
ifup -a
dmesg

im told in the following(had to type this by hand since i can't copy paste from the IRMC:
ip_set: protocol 6
device eth0 left promoscous mode
vmbr0: port 1(eth0) entered disabled state
ipv6 addrconf(netdev_up): eth0: link is not ready
device eth0 entered promiscouous mode
ipv6 addconf(netdev_up): vmbr0: link is not ready

don't know what else to give you guys but i need some help!

Hi,

What nic this server has?
I mean HW Vendor and type.

Hi Wolfgang,

the NIC is a Intel i210 onboard. The server itself is a Fujitsu TX2540 M1 F5

I was told it had full support for ubuntu/debian

This card use the igb diver it makes normal no problems at all.
What ethtool tell you about this card?

ethtool eth0
ethtool -i eth0
ethtool -k eth0

Do you see any boot error in dmesg?
I do not mean the one what occurs if you call ifup.

Is there a filtering command to use when going through dmesg?

I just went through the whole thing but im not used to go through it so if there filter like | grep errr or something like that

From what i found going over the dmesg i got this

Intel Gigabit ethernet network driver version 5.3.5.3 is found and seems to be ok

Apparmor is running - should it be?

FADT indicates ASPM is unsupported, using BIOS configuration - i don't know if this is bad or not?

ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it - im not sure this is a error

That was all i got from going over the dmesg, but i need to stress that im not expert on that log!

I will try and use servview to install proxmox with. servview is the same as HP smartstart

Apparmor is running - should it be?
Yes that's is correct.
FADT indicates ASPM is unsupported, using BIOS configuration - i don't know if this is bad or not?
Normally if this is disable the PCIe devices must allays be turned on

You can try to boot with a ubuntu live iso and check it the nic works.

sorry for my late respons..

using ubuntu desktop in "try ubuntu" mode my network works. I can ping 8.8.8.8

so clearly the network interface must be supported and this points more to a proxmox problem.. but i have no clue how to proceed from here

what is the output of
'ip addr'
and
'ip link'
on pve?

im sorry guys.. I spend the weekend converting to hyper-v instead. this was just a small demo enviroment and i just had to get it up and running stat.. so ran out of time. but thanks for trying to help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!