Fresh install of PVE 3.2 won't boot - best work around

gregski

Sep 11, 2014
I just put together a new home server and installed Proxmox from a USB drive. Installation seemed to work fine, but it won't boot. It stops at the BIOS screen stating no bootable drive attached. Reading through the forums, this seems to be a fairly common problem but I haven't found any solutions that work for me. Here's my setup:
ASRock MOBO w/ H97 chipset (UEFI)
Intel i5 processor
16Gb RAM
120Gb Kingston SSD

When I install the SSD is /dev/sda and a quick inspection shows that a grub partition was created on this drive. When I try to boot, the SSD is the only drive in the computer (no USB sticks, etc). Based on threads I've read, I need to check 2 things: The UEFI seems to be a common tripping point, I'll see if I have any options to disable it and fall back to a BIOS. I will also double check that the MOBO isn't presenting this single drive as a RAID. (This doesn't really even make sense, but I'll check)

If I still can't boot, I believe I have 3 options:
  1. Try to build/repair the grub loader using a Linux live boot (I normally use Ubuntu for such tasks)
  2. Start with a Debian installation and then install the PVE packages.
    • Would this route be as "lean" as a clean PVE install or would there be additional space/running services/etc as a result of starting with a vanilla Debian install?
  3. Install an older version of PVE and then upgrade to 3.2 (It sounds like 3.1 usually works in similar cases

Are there any pros/cons to each method? Are there any other options?

Thanks.

ASRock MOBO w/ H97 chipset (UEFI)
Intel i5 processor
16Gb RAM
120Gb Kingston SSD
  1. Install an older version of PVE and then upgrade to 3.2 (It sounds like 3.1 usually works in similar cases

Are there any pros/cons to each method? Are there any other options?

Thanks.

Exact same thing happened to me twice.
UEFI H97 Chipset mobo + proxmox 3.2 does not boot, whatever I did tried.

The best way to fix this is

Install Proxmox 3.1
and upgrade it after installation.

Everything works as expected...

Exact same thing happened to me twice.
UEFI H97 Chipset mobo + proxmox 3.2 does not boot, whatever I did tried.

The best way to fix this is

Install Proxmox 3.1
and upgrade it after installation.

Everything works as expected...

I WISH I COULD KISS YOU Boss ( no homo ) :)
i really missed prox and was trying out many other options
but decided to read up here again
and now i have a working system
thank you thank you ..

yes that is what i did finally ..install 3.1 and then did a dist-upgrade

and the disk booted up fine

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!