Fresh install network Issue Please Help!

abe97

Aug 25, 2024
Hello everyone, I really need help I am setting up Proxmox to use locally on a pc to set up Lamp server and test it. I can't use the browser since ports are close because I am on school network so I only use root. But I edited network/interfaces.d and added my IP/CIDR and netmask even DNS but no luck connecting to internet can't ping google or use wget. Please help me.

Attachments

• IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 8
You have both the IP written in CIDR notation ( 10.15.x.x/23) and a netmask (255.255.254.0), use one or the other not both.
The 10.X.X.X range is private/LAN range, so not findable through the internet, please don't hide stuff for that or we might just not be able to see the issue.
Can you ping the gateway?
Show the FULL config of /etc/network/interfaces
99% of the time only ports leaving to the internet are blocked, but internally (especially if you're on the same network) is not blocked, so if you can't reach the webpage, chances are big that you either configured or doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Apologies I thought I had to cover them, this is what I have for interfaces when I nano interfaces. I really appreciate your help. when I ping 255.255.254.0 I don't get anything back same as 10.15.7.128

Attachments

• IMG_3291.jpg
    IMG_3291.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 6
These are the files I have in network, I am a newbie learning so I apologize.
IMG_3292.jpg

Ok
1. Remove the line "netmask 255.255.254.0" (Make sure to remove the entire line so there is no whiteline in-between), save it, then run the command "ifreload -a"
2. Try to ping 10.15.6.1 from Proxmox.
3. If it still doesn't work also run the commands and show the results
Code:
ip a
ip r
cat /etc/resolv.conf

I couldn't ping but I got 127.0.1.1 when I run cat /etc/resolv.conf[ATTACH type="full"]73862[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_3295.jpg
    IMG_3295.jpg
    958 KB · Views: 5
Ok, that's wrong too, 127.x.x.x is "local device", but not our main problem now, since it can't even ping your router.

Since this is a school-network, there are a lot of unknowns in play here.

Let's start with a few basics though:
1. What kind of hardware are we working with here?
2. The network it is connected to, is it "your" part of the network, or fully shared? If it is fully shared, you might need to contact your school's IT-team to see what IP-settings you can use for your server. The server needs static IP-details, but doesn't need any ports open or the like, as long as your PC and such can reach it internally.
3. What are the IP-settings (check that the IP starts with "10." "172." or "192.") on your own personal PC that you would be accessing Proxmox with once you've got that set up.

Hello! I was given the IP/CIDR, Netmask, Gateway, DNS by the it admin. I don't have windows on it so I'm going to install windows get the ip then reinstall it from scratch. I'll reply back once completed!

Installed win server ran IPconfig got
IPv4 Address. . . • 10.15.x.xx8
Subnet Mask . • 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway • 10.15.6.1

Last edited:
Ok, so we at least know that the ip-adress, subnet and gateway are/were correct.

Now during the re-install, make sure to EITHER use the IP-address 10.15.X.X/23 without a subnet mask, OR you use IP 10.15.X.X with subnet mask 255.255.254.0. In both cases the gateway is always 10.15.6.1, the DNS and the value for the two X's is what the IT-admin provided you.

Reactions: abe97
Thank you!!!! I reinstalled proxmox and now it's working! I can ping google now, I can't use the web browser to configure, can I set up something so I can view and work on it locally? not sure if it makes a difference but I'm setting up a lamp server on it and do all testing locally on same pc

Last edited:
Not easily no, so you might want to borrow a PC in the network, or use some more puppy-eyes on the it admin to set up a port-forward or something like that anyway for you.
Have you tried maybe accessing the webpage from your phone, does that work? If you can at least reach if, you might also want to take a look at the proxmox mobile app.

If not, you can only do it fully via commandline (which IS possible, but would require quite some more Linux experience most likely), or at least till you are able to install a VM or something on it with some remote-access software (for example teamviewer)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!