FreeNAS iSCSI LVM recover image

Guy

Renowned Member
Jan 15, 2009
m0guy.com
I've been using proxmox and FreeNAS for many years with NFS shares. Recently I've started moving over to using an iSCSI LVM storage. This seems much faster for the disk io inside the VM.

On FreeNAS I'm taking snapshots of the pool regularly. Now for my issue..

One of the VMs messed up its disk. No problem I have snapshots on the FreeNAS but... How do I restore the VM disk image from the snapshot on FreeNAS.

All the VMs are inside an LVM which is it's self contained in a 2Tb file on the Freenas. I've mounted the snapshot in Freenas so I can see the file, but how do I copy the single VM RAW partition from this file back over to the production vmpool?

Exposing the snapshot LUN to Proxmox causes conflict issues as it has the same UUID as the production one so it seems to be ignored.

Any suggestions guidance would be great.. I've been searching the internet but so far not turn up much I can use.

I've been using proxmox and FreeNAS for many years with NFS shares. Recently I've started moving over to using an iSCSI LVM storage. This seems much faster for the disk io inside the VM.

On FreeNAS I'm taking snapshots of the pool regularly. Now for my issue..

One of the VMs messed up its disk. No problem I have snapshots on the FreeNAS but... How do I restore the VM disk image from the snapshot on FreeNAS.

All the VMs are inside an LVM which is it's self contained in a 2Tb file on the Freenas. I've mounted the snapshot in Freenas so I can see the file, but how do I copy the single VM RAW partition from this file back over to the production vmpool?

Exposing the snapshot LUN to Proxmox causes conflict issues as it has the same UUID as the production one so it seems to be ignored.

Any suggestions guidance would be great.. I've been searching the internet but so far not turn up much I can use.
You can mount another iscsi target that restore from snapshot.you should see vm lvm disks. You can either replace the disk or create another vm attach disk to vm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!