FreeBSD guest is frequently unresponsive

spacebass

Feb 25, 2019
hey folks,
On the heels of another thread about an LXC issue, I'm also trying to track down an issue with a FreeBSD guest on another host. I can't tell if the issue is with the guest configuration or the host itself and I'd love some help troubleshooting.

The main issue is that the guest, FreeBSD 12, becomes unresponsive about every 30-45 seconds for as long as 30-45 seconds each time. Services seem to remain mostly responsive, but they do slow down. I experience the issues on the console and with SSH. Other guests on the same host do not have this issue, including other FreeBSD guests.

Host:
* PVE Manager 6.3-6
* PVE: 5.4.106-1
* CPU Xeon D-2123IT
* Ram 32gb
* Load average: 0.18,0.23,0.29
* Ram use: 85% (25gb)
* IO Delay 0%
* Swap usage: 50%
* Storage LVM on hardware RAID1

Guest:
* FreeBSD 12
* CPU: 8 (1 socket 8 cores, host)
* Ram 18gb
* SCSI virtuIO
* NIC virtIO

I dont get anything unusual in the guest's logs and when I watch with top, the guest never really gets a big load.

For context, the guest is functioning as a media server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!