Found issue with Windows 11 / VMware workstation under Proxmox 8

70tas

Dec 20, 2023
This is not a request for help but rather me, documenting my experience with Proxmox. I am using it in a home lab, and hope to be able to bring it up at work as a replacement for the 900lb guerilla.

So I’ve found the conversion of VMW vmdk’s to be onerous. First uninstalling the current tools,migrating off my current dying system, am-converting and bringing up the vmdks’ as new pve vm’s. I’m finding that even my retail MS licenses on Win8.1/10 are not maintained. For the newer VM’s I just bought new licenses. The older legacy systems, I thought I would move en masse with current VMW 16.2 to a pve VM. That was my intention anyway.
What actually happened is that the original 7.x pve environment stopped being able to run VMW on 8.x. I’ve read others with the same issue apparently caused by the newer kernel in pve. So re-installed VMW on a new system with Windows 11. Come to find out I had the exact same issue as I did under Proxmox.
To make a long story short, Windows 11 and newer updates of Win 10, have their own Hyper-v enabled. In VMW 17.5 an installation question prompts to load Hyper-v libs. What this means is you are no longer running VMware’s stack but Hyper-v, and you can no longer run nested hypervisors.
So, if you are seeing a similar issue, that is the problem. The answer on Win11 is to follow a one line command to strip out Hyper-v from Windows. You can then run a non MS hyper-visor with nesting.
Unfortunately that does not work when running Win11 and a VMW stack under Proxmox.

So we know what the issue is. To be cont’d as I progress with my migration.

If this post is not acceptable in this forum, please let me know, and I will not post any more.

Reactions: zoldveg and mbmast
I don't know if you ever get it working, but it's possible.
PVE 7 is ok with win11 with vmw 16 nested.
PVE 8 is ok with win11 with vmw 17 nested given that you need to add these for the win 11 vm

args: -cpu Cooperlake,hv_relaxed,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,+vmx
cpu: host

or

args: -cpu host,hv_passthrough,level=30,-waitpkg

With extra parameters, it will be slower than just host, I believe.
My suggestion is to stick PVE7.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!