Found invalid MBR and corrupt GPT

Hero11

Dec 11, 2020
Hi,
I am using an Intel NUC 8i5 with a Samsung 860 Pro (500GB) and a Crucial P2 (1TB) SSD. The Samsung SSD is used for Proxmox and the Crucial SSD as storage for the virtual machines. Yesterday the status of the Crucial SSD changed to degraded. After a reboot of the node this SSD is no longer shown in the menu item "ZFS", under "Disks" it still appears but it says GPT: "NO".

I have run the command gdisk and get the question: "Found invalid MBR and corrupt GPT. What do you want to do?" (see spoiler). I do not know how to answer it. There are files on the hard disk that I would not like to lose.

Because I have only recently started with the whole topic of Proxmox, I have unfortunately not created a backup.

Thank you very much :)

1607785913272.png

Hi,
I am using an Intel NUC 8i5 with a Samsung 860 Pro (500GB) and a Crucial P2 (1TB) SSD. The Samsung SSD is used for Proxmox and the Crucial SSD as storage for the virtual machines. Yesterday the status of the Crucial SSD changed to degraded. After a reboot of the node this SSD is no longer shown in the menu item "ZFS", under "Disks" it still appears but it says GPT: "NO".

I have run the command gdisk and get the question: "Found invalid MBR and corrupt GPT. What do you want to do?" (see spoiler). I do not know how to answer it. There are files on the hard disk that I would not like to lose.

Because I have only recently started with the whole topic of Proxmox, I have unfortunately not created a backup.

Thank you very much :)

Hi,
you definitely don't want to create a blank GPT and in general you want to avoid writing to the device. I would reccomend that you boot a live system from CD (yes I know it is a NUC :) ) or USB and use tools like ddrescue in order to perform data recovery. There are plenty of options, e.g. https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/

Edit: And for the lesson learned, perform a backup even for your seemingly unimportant data (because you will "always" need even those when something fails without expecting it).

Last edited:
Thank you for your help.

I have now created an image file using ddrescue. But I don't really know what to do with it. Do you know what I should next?

Yes I have learned my lesson and will now make a backup of everything.

with the help of this website: Repairing GTP Disks
I was able to use the backup GPT header to create an MBR from it. With this, Proxmox could mount the SSD again and I could create a backup of the needed VM.
For another VM this was not possible, but since there was no important data there, I can simply recreate it. :)
So my problem is solved :)

Reactions: che
Thank you for your help.

I have now created an image file using ddrescue. But I don't really know what to do with it. Do you know what I should next?

Yes I have learned my lesson and will now make a backup of everything.
The idea of getting an image via ddrescue is that you can then use this image to try and perform all kind of recovery, data analysis without the danger of doing more damage to the data (avoiding to interact with the failing disk). You could for example have used a copy of the image to mount a parition via a loopback device.

Anyway, glad for you that recovering the data worked. ;)

Reactions: Hero11

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!