[SOLVED] Force Proxmox to use Igpu vide output

jerryjiren

Jan 29, 2022
Hello, I managed to get my GPU passthrough working. After some testing, I realized that if proxmox is using my main GPU, then my VM won't start.

The thing is, from what I read online and from what I did by following the tutorial, the host should not use any GPU aside from the igpu of my intel CPU.

Well, this is not working as intended, I switch in the bios the primary display to IGPU, but If I have connected a monitor to any GPU, it will default to Auto and just take over that output instead.

So my current solution is Primary display > Igpu, connect DP to monitor through Motherboard video output, wait for proxmox to load, and then connect the DP cable to the main GPU.

Any solutions to this? The first thing that comes to my mind is to buy an HDMI dummy plug, but I would like to know if there is a way to force proxmox to not use my GPUs at all.

Another option could be to once proxmox has booted, release the GPU, but that sounds like looking for a process id or something and killing it, way overkill maybe?

Yes I did, I will re do that part just to make sure. I will reboot my system, leave my DP cable connected to main GPU and see what happens
Yup, that did nothing. I also have to note that I am using a 3060 Zotac 12Gb and when proxmox boots (ONLY WHEN CONNECTED TO MAIN GPU), after a few seconds the screen goes black and then comes back to another screen with no welcome message, like if the console was cleared

Last edited:
I managed to fix that by connecting one cable to iGPU and another to the main GPU then those 2 to the same monitor. I can switch input and see my server console or my VM video now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!