Force installer to use default / vga driver?

MrPete

Aug 6, 2021
I'm installing VE 7.2 on a nice new HP SFF Z2 G5... with nVidia T1000 card. Total video overkill since this will be a headless host once set up ;)
In any case, while I got other USB boots to work by forcing VGA video (eg GPartEd)... in this case I don't see any ProxMox install options at ALL in the early stages.

Is there a way around this? I get through Grub... and at some point the screen hiccups (probably resolution change) and goes black.

Hints much appreciated.

Did you try this?:
On the Proxmox install boot menu, highlight 'Install Proxmox' and then press 'e'

On the screen that appears delete 'quiet splash = silent' and in it's place type 'nomodeset' then press F10

Your install should then continue without dropping to a black screen.

If nothing works you can also install Debian 11 and PVE ontop of it in case you don't want to boot from ZFS: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

Reactions: MrPete
I'd really rather avoid installing on top of a non-optimized linux ;)

Your "try this" looks interesting... digging with Google found it right here, a couple of years ago ;).... Let's see how well that works for me...

(BTW, reviewing the old thread: they saw GUI after 30 min or so. Not me....)

For Future Wanderers:
- Pressing 'e' on "install ProxMox" brings up an edit screen, that allows modifying ALL parameters of the install boot!

That solved this step... now a fatal error. I'll start a new thread if needed.

THANKS!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!