flood of corrected pcie errors on Beelink SER7 w/ (2) Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs

ferrisakl

Mar 14, 2024
Does anyone know how to correct this? This flood of errors occurs at boot. I can still get into PVE, but the errors persist on the console or w/ dmesg...
1710735372151.png

I have tried adding to /etc/default/grub the following, but the errors persist:

1710735492975.png

Hey,

did you run update-grub ?
forgive my lack of knowledge... but I tried to do this.
in the shell I typed the command and got this...
1710754582955.png

I then tried dmesg 2x and noticed the time stamps were still increasing, i.e. it was still flooding. I rebooted and again tried dmesg 2x and it was still flooding.

I then tried "proxmox-boot-tool refresh" as indicated above.

1710754742817.png

and it's still flooding.

any other ideas? or did I do something wrong?

What's the output of dmidecode -t bios and dmidecode -t 2 ? Maybe there is a setting in your bios for PCIe messages?
One more question - does it affect your storage in anyway? Capacity or latency wise?

Best

Reactions: Kingneutron
What's the output of dmidecode -t bios and dmidecode -t 2 ? Maybe there is a setting in your bios for PCIe messages?
One more question - does it affect your storage in anyway? Capacity or latency wise?

Best

root@beelink:~# dmidecode -t bios
# dmidecode 3.4
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.5.0 present.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 26 bytes
BIOS Information
Vendor: American Megatrends International, LLC.
Version: SER7PRO_P5C8V37
Release Date: 12/14/2023
Address: 0xF0000
Runtime Size: 64 kB
ROM Size: 32 MB
Characteristics:
PCI is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
BIOS ROM is socketed
EDD is supported
ACPI is supported
BIOS boot specification is supported
Targeted content distribution is supported
UEFI is supported
BIOS Revision: 5.29

Handle 0x002B, DMI type 13, 22 bytes
BIOS Language Information
Language Description Format: Long
Installable Languages: 1
en|US|iso8859-1
Currently Installed Language: en|US|iso8859-1

root@beelink:~# dmidecode -t 2
# dmidecode 3.4
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.5.0 present.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
Base Board Information
Manufacturer: AZW
Product Name: SER
Version: V1
Serial Number: CCFS0602270001
Asset Tag: Default string
Features:
Board is a hosting board
Board is replaceable
Location In Chassis: Default string
Chassis Handle: 0x0003
Type: Motherboard
Contained Object Handles: 0

In any Mini PC of that nature I would initially check 2 things:

Internal temps & Power supply.

Don't know your whole setup but we do know your running 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Gen4 - that's going to draw power & generate heat inside a confined small area.

Many (Chinese esp.) Mini PC designers - add all sorts of features to their Mini PCs - But do not rigorously test all the various (optional) configurations for power requirements & thermals. Search out there on the WWW how many Mini PC manufacturers later tell the customers to avoid certain configurations with their products. (Often these companies do not comprehend the word recall!)

In any Mini PC of that nature I would initially check 2 things:

Internal temps & Power supply.

Don't know your whole setup but we do know your running 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Gen4 - that's going to draw power & generate heat inside a confined small area.

Many (Chinese esp.) Mini PC designers - add all sorts of features to their Mini PCs - But do not rigorously test all the various (optional) configurations for power requirements & thermals. Search out there on the WWW how many Mini PC manufacturers later tell the customers to avoid certain configurations with their products. (Often these companies do not comprehend the word recall!)
yeah not sure on temps. at least it has a fan. Unfortuantely the power supply on these newer beelinks is proprietary and magnetic.

I've already complained numerous times that I wish this market (mini ryzen pc's) was fulfilled by US based companies w/ better follow up including customer service and updates.

As far as temps go - try running it with the case opened as much as possible - maybe placing a portable room-fan on top of it.
See what effect this may have.

Concerning the proprietary power connector - that's tough. Although technically you could splice the connector off and refit it to another transformer, however not having any redundancy - I wouldn't do that until I was sure its a power supply problem - and have a known working replacement.

Something else to try - Find a different (single spare?) SSD and see if you can get it running Proxmox fresh-install smoothly on this machine. You won't loose anything - because you can always refit these 2 SSDs inside the MiniPC.

Are you sure you are even using the Grub-bootloader? Does "cat /proc/cmdline" show your additions, concerning ASPM?
Depending on how you installed, you might be using systemd-boot. Then editing the grub config would of course be pointless. In that case, you would need "/etc/kernel/cmdline".
See here: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot_edit_kernel_cmdline
I'm not sure which boot loader I'm using. I'll edit the systemd-boot one you listed and see what happens.

Are you sure you are even using the Grub-bootloader? Does "cat /proc/cmdline" show your additions, concerning ASPM?
Depending on how you installed, you might be using systemd-boot. Then editing the grub config would of course be pointless. In that case, you would need "/etc/kernel/cmdline".
See here: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot_edit_kernel_cmdline
Yep! that was the issue! I'm using EFI and ZFS so proxmox is using systemd-boot.

I entered pcie_aspm=off to the file you suggested then ran "proxmox-boot-tool refresh" and then rebooted.
It's no longer flooding. There's a few bluetooth related errors, but I'm not using bluetooth, so I don't really care to investigate it.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!