[TUTORIAL] [Fix] /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key: failed to load local private key

esi_y

Renowned Member
Nov 29, 2023
github.com
You finished your install or changed configuration and suddenly your GUI access does not work, direct console access and SSH is intact, upon further inspection with:

Code:
journalctl -e

There's a barrage of (most numerous):

Code:
pveproxy[949]: /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key: failed to load local private key (key_file or key) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm line 2025.

Following this lead, you may as well end up troubleshooting why your /etc/pve is empty now, indeed missing keys. Do NOT do that.
If you scroll up in the log further up, you will find all other services failing:

Code:
pmxcfs[756]: [main] crit: Unable to resolve node name 'nodename' to a non-loopback IP address - missing entry in '/etc/hosts' or DNS?
systemd[1]: Failed to start pve-cluster.service - The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem.
systemd[1]: Failed to start pve-firewall.service - Proxmox VE firewall.
systemd[1]: Failed to start pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon.
systemd[1]: Failed to start pve-ha-crm.service - PVE Cluster HA Resource Manager Daemon.
systemd[1]: Failed to start pve-ha-lrm.service - PVE Local HA Resource Manager Daemon.
systemd[1]: Failed to start pve-guests.service - PVE guests.
systemd[1]: Failed to start pvescheduler.service - Proxmox VE scheduler.

So yes, unfortunately it is the missing entry in '/etc/hosts' or DNS that is causing all this.

Compare your /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts, possibly also IP entries in /etc/network/interfaces and check against output of ip -c a.

As of today, PVE relies on hostname to be resolvable, by default with entry in /etc/hosts.

So. I wonder now, the above 5774 was instant WONTFIX, this is with the exact opposite reasoning as e.g. 5767.

When I post this on the forum, @LnxBil asks me, why I do not file BZ report first, when I file it there, they tell me I am spamming reports.

So back to here where at least I can: ask everyone who considers this to be an issue to make a comment in the above and request it to be fixed.

Otherwise PVE will be bugridden forever.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!