[TUTORIAL] Fix always high CPU frequency in proxmox host.

please I need help.
I have nuc13i5
intel p_state is active
I tried to disable it with 1st topic guide but at reboot I see it still enabled and no acpi driver loaded.
maybe somthing wrong from my side?

or last nucs has a security option that cause this?

I have only scaling_governor
performance
powersave
Yes, because the intel_pstate driver is basically a thin wrapper around Intel's in-hardware frequency management from the CPU itself. There you basically can only set one bit to tell it to try saving power, or clear that bit for getting full performance, so that's why there are only two available governors for this driver.

Note, that while the acpi one is more flexible, as there, most things are done in software by the kernel scheduler, it doesn't have to be better in terms of power saving performance.
I want to swap to acpi becuse seems that intel_pstate drive cpus at 2.20ghz when idles..
What if you activate the powersave governor from the intel_pstate driver?
cpupower frequency-set -g powersave

(just sets it for the current boot).

Hi,

I'm using theses grub option for both intel/amd to force max frequencies

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="idle=poll intel_idle.max_cstate=0 intel_pstate=disable processor.max_cstate=1"
@spirit
Thanks for sharing! Have you performed some tests and why did you decide to disable pstate and fix frequency at max? (comparing to rely on power management and frequency boost)

Last edited:
@spirit
Thanks for sharing! Have you performed some tests and why did you decide to disable pstate and fix frequency at max? (comparing to rely on power management and frequency boost)
for latency. I have databases running on ceph, and It can really impact performane for some ms if cpu need to wakeup or increase frequency.

BTW, with epyc server, on 6.5, I'm using amd_pstate=active , and I got great result (without idle=poll), so it's using less power with same performance.

Reactions: Whatever
for latency. I have databases running on ceph, and It can really impact performane for some ms if cpu need to wakeup or increase frequency.

BTW, with epyc server, on 6.5, I'm using amd_pstate=active , and I got great result (without idle=poll), so it's using less power with same performance.

Many thanks for clarification. Is there anything alike for Intel?)

@spirit
But how could frequency increase if we disable p-states and pin frequency of all the cores to maximum within given TDP?

Hi jans~ I'm using intel xeon 6148 processor, I just want to see whether my cpu can reach the Turbo Frequency. 3.70 GHz.
So I run s-tui for test. But I got all the processor are at the top of 2.4GHz and not gonna Breakthrough.
And I use the cpupower frequency-info command but got those info:
Code:
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: Not Available
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: Not Available
  maximum transition latency:  Cannot determine or is not supported.
Not Available
  available cpufreq governors: Not Available
  Unable to determine current policy
  current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
  current CPU frequency:  Unable to call to kernel
  boost state support:
    Supported: no
    Active: no
And I have no idea what to do to get/set some config the cpu strategy
I had the same problem in our Dell server, passing performance management to OS fixes everything.
1706563977664.png

Reactions: adamli
please I need help.
I have nuc13i5
intel p_state is active
I tried to disable it with 1st topic guide but at reboot I see it still enabled and no acpi driver loaded.
maybe somthing wrong from my side?

or last nucs has a security option that cause this?

I have only scaling_governor
performance
powersave

I want to swap to acpi becuse seems that intel_pstate drive cpus at 2.20ghz when idles..

analyzing CPU 15:
driver: intel_pstate
CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 15
CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 15
maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
hardware limits: 400 MHz - 3.40 GHz
available cpufreq governors: performance, powersave
current policy: frequency should be within 400 MHz and 3.40 GHz.
The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
within this range.
current CPU frequency is 2.20 GHz.
An old post but thought I'd help.
Any chance your system is using systemd-boot instead of grub? This was the case for me.

If so, you need to edit /etc/kernel/cmdline and add argument intel_pstate=disable there.
Then presuming your system is recent after editing above, run proxmox-boot-tool refresh - then reboot.

See more here. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Host_Bootloader#sysboot_edit_kernel_cmdline

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!