first post- kvm raw images to proxmox

tiberius

Nov 5, 2016
Dear folks,

Since years now I'm doing virtualisation basically on Centos which is stable but I'm looking for an Appliance which includes container and cluster support and Proxmox seems to be great.

Currently I've installed Proxmox on one of our spare server to examine it deeply before I'm considering moving from Centos to Proxmox as Virt Host.....I've already tested a lot and I'm pretty impressed how you guys manage and implented things...anyhow.

Currently I'm just struggling with the most obvious thing- how to move/add kvm raw images to Proxmox ;-)
Normally I dump the xml file move the files and define the new guest via virsh define.....I've already visited the migration guide and several forum posts tell me simply creating a new vm and add a new disk, while selecting the raw image of my guest BUT there is no way selecting my raw image file, either during creation or later with add disk.

I don't get it or is there another or common way ?

THX & Best

Options:
1] overwrite newly created raw disk with your original
2] check configuration file for VM and add/overwrite line with disk paramaters

@tiberius:
yes you have to create the new VM on a file based storage, and add your raw disk image there

if you need a quick file base storage, edit the 'local' storage and add 'Disk iamge' as the allowd content type.

Reactions: tiberius

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!